Is Combining Benzoyl Peroxide and Retina A To My Face Washing Regimen Ok?

hi, i being using .025 retin a gel for around 6 months.but i still have many blackheads.i want to start the new regimen by adding 2.5% benzoyl peroxide to my current regimen and i will reduce the retin a to "every two days" and using benzoyl peroxide every morning.here is my new regimen: A.M: 1)wash with Purpose gentle cleanser 2) 2.5% bp (every morning 3) moisturizer P.M: 1) purpose gentle cleanser 2) moisturizer 3) .025 retin-a gel (every two day

Acne skin care routine

+1

Skin care routine for acne should be reviewed under supervision of a board-certified dermatologist and must be customized to individual's skin type (dry, oil, vs. combination), skin color, prior experience, and insurance coverage. Much advance has been made in topical and oral treatment for acne in recent years. Topical retinoid, benzyl peroxide have been mainstay of topical acne treatment. However, there are newer prescription-strength medications, some combining different ingredients to facilitate synergy.

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Topical Retinoids and Benzoyl Peroxide in Combination

+1

In most acne regimens, topical retinoids such as Retin A are used with a benzoyl peroxide as they each have unique mechanisms of action and work on different aspects of the acne pathogenesis.  Epiduo is a combination of a retinoid-like medicine called adapalene and benzoyl peroxide and many of my patients experience great results on this topical.  As always, I recommend seeing a board certified dermatologist so an acne regimen can be tailored to your specific condition.

Anthony Perri, MD
Houston Dermatologist

A great daily acne regimen

+1

Everyone's skin is different so a specific acne regimen based on prescription products such as Retin A should be tailored and monitored by your dermatologist. That being said, it is very common to use Retin A in the evening, benz peroxide product in morning and various types of washes during the day.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon