24yr male very athletic - small tummy tuck? 6 pac+

I lost a lot of weight and now I have excess skin remaining. I have a very good diet, and I play soccer very aggressive. I'd like to know what would be the best option for me. I would like to enjoy wearing a tight shirt to show my chest muscles without showing the bulge in my lower stomach area. My upper is great but my lower is not. You can only show one picture, but I have this link for the second picture of my stomach. THANKS!

Large weight loss and loose abdominal skin

+2

Skin  excisions in men, either panniculectomies (remove extra skin only) or tummy tucks (tighten skin above umbilicus as well) usually heal very well in men.

Your plastic surgeon can go over the options and expected results with you.

You don't seem to have much loose skin in the upper abdomen.

A Tummy Tuck should take care of it

+1

Zarkis,

Looks like you would benefit from a tummy tuck.  The extra skin would be removed however you would trade this new flat tight abdomen for the scar from hip to hip.  

Good Luck.   Dr Grant Stevens  

Grant Stevens, MD

Male body contouring

+1

This a common question among young n]men who lost significant amount of weight. Obviously everybody want a short scar, least downtime and skin tightening. The longer the scar the more contouring can be done a a better outcome. That does not mean you are not a candidate for a mini tummy tuck. I think you should address your opinion during your plastic surgery consultation and look at the before and after photos and then you can decide what is best for you.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Excess skin after weight loss

+1

Your photos are deceiving in that at first glance it looks like there is not much extra skin as it does not hang over your pants. On closer observation you can see strecth marks that extend half way up on either side of the abdomen, a small assymetric lower abdominal fold mostly on the lower right, small bulges low down on the sides and skin from above hanging over the belly button. These issues can be improved with your standard tummy tuck but the trade off is a scar. The decision would be easier to make if the lower fold of skin hung over and covered the upper edge of your pants. I don't think a mini tuck would suffice given the extent of the stretchmarks. If you did a standard full tummy tuck with a little bit of liposuction around the edges you could make the lower abdomen more symmetric, get rid of at most half of the stretchmarks while shifting the remainder lower down on the torso, get rid of the less severe upper abdominal skin and flatten the bulges lower down on the sides. You would have to decide that the resulting skin scar justifies the results.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Tummy tuck vs. laser assisted liposuction

+1

Dear Zarkis,

Based on your pictures and level of your activity you might be a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck which would address the excess skin or laser assisted liposuction (such as SmartLipo).

Laser assisted liposuction passes a round of laser in the subcutaneous tissues.  The laser helps melting the fat away prior to liposuction and provides the added benefit of improved skin retraction.  It is an excellent option for active patients such as yourself who are looking for liposculpturing.

As always I recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Kind regards,

K. Jacob Cohen-Kashi, New York Plastic Surgeon

Kambiz Jacob Cohen-Kashi, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Male tummy tuck

+1

I did a skin only tummy tuck on a man like you last month and his procedure went well, and he is pleased with the result. A lot depends on how much elasticity remains in your skin and how much looseness is present above your belly button. If there is a lot of stretch above the belly button you can have a full skin tummy tuck with good results. You should see a good board certified plastic surgeon in your area for advice on how to proceed.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Male tummy tuck

+1

It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures (it looks like you're leaning forward which would exagerate and loose skin), but a skin resection is an iffy proposition at best.  Cosmetic surgery is always a trade of scar for shape, but in your case the scar will likely be significant and the change in shape rather minimal.  Having said that, it's always best to visit a local board certified plastic surgeon and get an "in person" opinion.

Robert Sigal, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon