Fake looking Implants - 24yr Old Female, 5ft 7in and 150lbs

my ps suggested a 380cc round silicone high profile to take me from 34A to a 34D. Please would these implants look very fake after BA, as i really want it to be in proportion with my body. thanks.

Breast augmentation

+2

For your frame, 380 cc implants may be too small.  You may want 450cc or 500 cc to obtain a D cup size on your bra.

Right implant size for desired result

+2

Short answer: that size and style implant should give you your desired result. 

Long answer: Bra sizes are confusing. More often than not, a woman is not wearing a correctly fitted bra, doesn't know her bra size, or doesn't know how a bra is fitted. 

Cup size is dependent on the "number" part of the bra size... a D cup in a 34 bra is a different size from a 42 bra. 

Outward projection is further determined by the "profile" of the implant. High school geometry: Height (projection) times Width (base width). A Higher Profile implant will give you a larger cup size for less volume than a Moderate Profile implant.

Furthermore, a saline implant looks bigger than a silicone implant of the same volume. That is because a saline implant is more oval (round on both top and base), while a silicone implant is flat on the base. 

Some plastic surgery books have proposed the following parameters for breast augmentation:

• 32 bra: 100-200 ml per cup size
  • 34 bra: 150-250 ml per cup size
  • 36 bra: 200-300 ml per cup size
  • 38 bra: 250-350 ml per cup size

Using that as a guide line you are likely within the appropriate range.

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Proportion and Fit Are Important for Natural Appearance

+2

It isn't possible to answer your very important question without examination and a discussion of your specific goals, aesthetic sense, and your idea of what looks "fake" or "natural."

In general, if your concern with a "natural" appearance or undetectable augmentation when undressed, low profile implants will provide the most "stealth" augmentation. In clothing, the bra is providing shaping, so implant profile/shape may be less critical than size/proportion for "not looking fake."

These are uniquely personal considerations that you should discuss with your surgeon to be sure you are getting the result you seek, which might mean deciding on trade-offs between size and shape.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Fake looking breast implants

+1

Without a physical exam, pictures and breast dimensions, it is hard to say if you will look "fake". However, 380cc is a reasonable size for many patients. If you really want a D cup, you may need a slightly bigger implant but in many cases, the bigger you go, the more fake it looks.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Fake looking implants

+1

If you want a certain look and a certain size, then it is important to try on sizers before surgery so that you dont end up being disappointed with your results.  In doing this, you will have a better idea of what volume you need to get the size you want so that you do not go too big or too small.  The natural look is obtained easier in women who have some laxity to their own skin and who choose silicone gel impants.  Without seeing your picture, it is hard to know what you are starting out with.  However, over time, if the implants are well chosen, well placed, and you do not develop a capsular contracture, you should get a natural result.  You should discuss all of this with your Plastic Surgeon before deciding on the size, style and type of implant, as well as implant placement.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Are 380 CC breast implants too big for frame?

+1

380 CC is not too large for your height and weight. However a high profile implant would make you look more round. If you want to look natural this would give you the opposite result. However since your plastic surgeon has examined you, he may see things about your breast and chest that are not in your question. Go back and discuss this with him or get a second opinion with the board-certified plastic surgeon.

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Implant choices

+1

Without an exam to evaluate your breasts, it would be very difficult to tell you how they would look.  The taller you are, the more you can probably handle in terms of volume. But the larger the volume the less natural they look.

How to achieve a more natural result

+1

When done correctly, breast augmentation can give you a result that looks and feels very natural.  But to achieve this natural result, your plastic surgeon must choose three things:

• The right procedure (do you need an augmentation or also a lift?)
  • The right implant (saline vs. silicone / correct size)
  • The right patient (do you have realistic expectations that can actually be achieved?)

Once these three things have been addressed, chances are very good that you will achieve a result that you will be happy with for years to come.  As for a size that will give you a natural look, keep in mind that the larger you go the more volume of your breast that the implant will make up and the more that your breast will achieve the characteristics of that implant (good or bad).  As such, I recommend to my clients that they look at a size that will help achieve proportion to their figure; in addition, I strongly favor silicone gel implants because of their natural look and feel

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

+1

You needed to post photos! But my guess is the chosen size of 380 cc is TOO SMALL! Try for 450 cc. But in person evaluations are best! From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Spend the time to make sure your surgeon understands your expectations

+1

Dear cherry123

I agree with many of the sentiments of my colleagues. Without measurements or even a photo, it is impossible to answer this question. That being said, 'fake' is a subjective term and being conservative will give the most natural results. Try to stay with an implant that does not exceed the natural dimensions of your breast. These days, a 380 cc implant is quite common in patients with your  height and weight, but that does not mean it will necessarily satisfy your needs.

It sounds like you need to spend some more time with your plastic surgeon to discuss it in detail. See if he has 'sizers' that you can try on. Although not totally accurate, they can give patients a better sense of their final outcome, and allow them to choose accordingly.  The extra time spent before surgery will be well worth avoiding the problem of unfulfilled expectations. Good luck.

Best regards,

Lawrence Tong MD FACS FRCSC

Lawrence Tong, MD