Yellow Pus from Areola After Breast Lift? (photo)

I had a breast lift done April 22 2013 had the tape taken off and some stitches taken out since then!!! Only in my right breast around the areola there is some pus I believe coming out. I already got the knot suture that dissolves out. Because it was half out a couple days ago but it still has pus coming out when I squeezed it a little because it was a tad red and raised. What is this? Am I infected? Normal? What's the puss substance? Thanks I'm 23 btw breast lift with augmentation 480ccs both

Suture infections after breast lift

+2

It sounds like you have a small infection of the dissolvable sutures in your breast lift.  I would recommend getting the suture out and then gentle soap and water twice a day to clean the area.  I would then dress the wounds with bacitracin and light gauze.  I would also let your plastic surgeon know so he/she can evaluate you and make sure that antibiotics are not necessary.  Good luck.

+1

May be a suture abscess. Seek immediate medical care or see your PS ASAP for treatment. I recommend warm soaks and PO antibiotics. 

Suture knot abscess after breast lift surgery

+1

A suture knot abscess is not unusual.  Once the suture knot is removed it should heal.  The beast treatment is to keep the area clean and dry and prevent any crusting over the area as this could cause the abscess to recur.  

Yellow drainage after breast lift.

+1

I agree with the previous posts.  One other item to check with your surgeon is whether he used a Gore tex purse string suture.  Those are difficult to clear without removing the entire suture. 

Raymond A. Faires, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

It does not look like infection

+1

Dear Beautifly, it looks like you had a lift and implants. If so, this is the part of your incision lines that has the most "stress" of healing. This can present itself as some discharge and exudate that will eventually heal and be fine. I have my patients wear a pad in their bra when this occurs and it goes away pretty quickly. Dr. R

James Romano, MD

Yellow drainage after a breast lift is not necessarily infection.

+1

Small gaps in the wound can cause yellowish drainage is not necessarily infection. This is something that should be sorted out with your surgeon as infection is a possibility.

Yellow Pus from Areola After Breast Lift

+1

This is almost certainly a reaction to a buried suture. The drainage will not stop until the suture is removed or dissolves--I would suggest removal, which your surgeon can do. Usually antibiotics are not needed--there is little or no inflammation around the area. However, the decision should be made by your surgeon.

All the best.