2300 Grafts Using FUE Hair Transplant Method?

I talked with a doctor about FUE hair transplant. After seeing my hair he said I will need about 2300 grafts, and cost about $15,000. I also wanted my hairline lowered a little because I have a kinda big forehead. Now I'm just curious because its my first ever procedure let alone hair transplant. Also I live in Sacramento,CA and the doctor I met is in Santa Clara,CA. So if anyone has any tips or helpful info - please do let me know.

Hair replacement surgery.

+3

If u have hair transplants of whatever type how many sessions are needed to give u natural density. For 35 years I have done grafting as well as The Fleming-mayer Flap. Since we do both we do not care which the patient chooses. Most patients will choose the FM flap after they compare and see actual patients not just photos. The flap gives superior density, no change in hair texture and is much cheaper. 

Hair

+2

Get a few more opinions. FUE is not the only way to go especially if you are concerned with cost and quality of result. The quality of the graft and creation of recipient sites are the most important factors in follicular unit hair transplantation. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Consults for hair loss

+2

It is important to get multiple consults.  You would be surprised how much things can vary.  Cost for example can be double in one place compared to another.  You can google things like FUE graft cost to get an idea of how costs vary around the country.  Also, make sure you are dealing with a place that dose a lot of FUE.  FUE is a lot harder to get done efficiently with good survival rates.  

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Natural Looking Hair Transplant

+1

I think a far more natural appearance can be achieved using FUE hair transplant method. However, an important qualifier to that opinion is that the result will vary tremendously dependent upon the skills of the Doctor. Even though most of the labor is done by very skilled technicians, it should be the physician who is determining the distribution of the grafts, the angles of placement, the structure of the hairline and the overall artistic nature of the transplant. I have seen many bad transplants that could have been done properly to achieve an excellent result, but didn't because of errors of judgement. I would be very cautious about dropping the hairline very much. The expense quoted seems very reasonable.

Richard Fitzpatrick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Best method for hair transplantation?

+1

There are many methods of hair transplantation.  Wanted them RFUE and another can be a surgical flap.  Grafts can be taken with as few as one hair follicle or multiple follicles.  The quality of the hair, the number of follicles per unit and the location in which the hair is to be placed are all important determinants in the final result.  While it is a common misconception that hair can and should be taken from any location, taking appropriate hair from an appropriate location is key to success.  For instance, one cannot always use hair from a beard to replace a frontal hairline.  The orientation in which Harris placed is also important.  If the frontal hairline is being created then it is important to make sure that hairs are aligned in the correct orientation.  The way the hair is also laid down, for example a staggered pattern versus a straight line will also change the quality of the result.  You should certainly visit with a surgeon who does many of these types of transplantations as well as offers multiple options for hair restoration.  The cost can vary by geographic locale.  In general they can arrange from $7000-$25,000.  When you go over consultation ask for before and after photographs.

Raj S. Ambay, MD