I'm 23 yrs old African American female. I have active acne and suffer hyper pigmentation. Are Jessner Peels safe for me to use?

In People Of Color, Hyperpigmenation From Acne Responds Well To Salicylic Acid Peels & At-Home Prescription Therapies

+1
In people of color, any inflammatory process, including acne, can be the cause of very distressing post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Suppresses the underlying inflammation, in this case the case, is therefore critically important to reducing the resultant pigmentary problems. As a rule, the sooner the problem is brought under control, the shorter will be the duration of the resultant pigmentary problems. This can best be accomplished via in-office acne surgery (cleaning out whiteheads and blackheads and injecting pimples, pustules and cysts) and the use of a series of superficial peels.

Jessner's solution is fine, although I prefer salicylic acid 30 percent (betahydroxy acid) peels The salicylic acid penetrates the clogged pores and works very well as a result for treating the follicular blockage that is characteristic of acne vulgaris. It is also excellent for helping to fade existing hyperpigmented blotches.

At-home treatments include the use of topical retinoids, such as adapalene cream or gel and low strength benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid constitute important parts of the treatment regimen for treating existing lesions and especially for reducing outbreaks. Finally, once adequate acne control is achieved, maintenance with azelaic acid products, such as Finacea, can serve the duel purpose of continuing to suppress acne and lighten post-inlammatory discolorations. 

Consultation and treatment by a board certified dermatologist is strongly advised.

Jessner's Peel for Acne and Hyperpigmentation

+1
Jessner's peels are great additions to a total acne plan, which should include a topical regimen, and possibly oral antibiiotics or hormonal therapy.  We often treat patients such as you with Jessner's peels as our "go to peel" for acne and hyperpigmentation.

Jeffrey C. Poole, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon