23 Year Old Male. Surgery in Two Weeks for Mini Abdominoplasty and Chest SmartLipo? (photo)

I was overweight my entire life, but started eating healthy and exercising regularly a few years ago. I've lost 130 pounds and have decided to follow through with surgery to remove the excess skin. My doctor has scheduled a mini abdominoplasty as well as smartlipo for my chest. Do you think those operations will help to flatten out my abdominal region? I think that there is just too much laxity on my chest to really fix without invasive surgery. What do you think? My surgery is in two weeks.

Mini Abdominoplasty & Smart Lipo After Weight Loss

+1

You are to be congratulated for changing your lifestyle.  Your hard work will make you to feel better, look better, and live longer.  Few people posses the will power that you have.

Most fat resides in two areas of the body: the subcutaneous space (under the skin) and the intra-abdominal space (inside the abdomen around the organs).  In obese individuals, a large amount of fat under the skin  "over stretches" the skin such that the skin loses elasticity.  A large amount of fat inside the abdomen "over stretches" the abdominal muscles and those muscles become loose.  No form of liposuction can address these "over stretched" tissues.

The photos portray significant skin laxity in the chest and abdominal areas.  An examination would be required to assess the abdominal muscles.  To get the best results in the chest area, skin excess will need to be removed.  "Smart Lipo" will simply reduce the fat in the area and will not cause significant change in the skin.  To correct the abdomen, you will likely need significant skin excision.  This will require release of the navel from the abdominal skin, elevation of the abdominal skin, excision of the excess, and the pulling of the navel through an new, small incision (umbilical translocation).  You may need muscle tightening as well.  The term "mini tummy tuck" is not a defined procedure.  Surgeons use it to describe different maneuvers.  Make sure that your board-certified plastic surgeon discusses all aspects of the intended abdominal procedure with you before your surgery.  Also, make sure that your surgeon is familiar with techniques in treating weight loss patients.

Weight loss and procedures

+1

You may be a good canidadate for a mini or a ful tummy tuck. An exam in person is key. AS for the chest, it looks a bit loose. I do not think lipo will work well.

Whats best after weight loss?

+1

Thanks for your photos and congratulations on your weight loss.  You must know what your surgeon's revision policies are as it is likely you will need one due to the laxity of skin that is present.  As for the procedures. ask your surgeon what is expected from those procedures and make sure it matches your expectations.  I wouldn't expect the SmartLipo to tighten your breast skin much so be prepared for that if you have it.  The mini-tuck will help but your hair growth pattern will be altered to some degree to so anticipate that as well.  Make sure you and your surgeon are on the same page as far as anticipated results meeting your expectations.

Curtis Wong, MD

23 Year Old Male. Surgery in Two Weeks for Mini Abdominoplasty and Chest SmartLipo?

+1

Based ONLY on the posted photos and having NEVER examined you in person I DO NOT agree with the surgical options you are having. First you need an extended "paddle ectomy" meanig a longer incision. Second no type of lipo will correct the excess skin in your breasts. That is my personal opinion. 

+1

A minitummy tuck will probably not address all of the skin laxity as you have suggested.  A tummy tuck would be a better choice to take care of the skin issue for you.  You could elect to have some liposuction as well to the flanks.  However, there is a skin issue on the chest that needs to be addressed by a male breast reduction and not liposuction.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks, liposuction procedures, and male breast reductions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy tuck and breast reshaping after weight loss

+1

From your history and posted photos, it seems like mini tummy tuch and liposuction ( slim or liposelection ) would not fully address your concerns. You have excess skin above the belly button and saggy breasts which require breast uplift and a full tummy tuck to improve your body shape. Less invasive operations will not adequately address your concerns.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Body contouring after massive weight loss

+1

With massive weight loss you have a good deal of excess skin.  If most of the excess skin is below the umbilicus then you may be a candidate for a modified abdominoplasty.  If there is redundant skin above the umbilicus then a complete abdomionplasty would be the preferred procedure.  As for your breasts there is a good deal of redundant skin and liposuction alone is not going to help this skin retract.   

Mini tummy tuck and chest smart liposuction.

+1

From the pictures you look to need a full tummy tuck. The chest can have lipo as a first stage procedure but you will need to have some skin excision done later say 4-6 months down the road because lipo alone will not solve the amount of skin laxity. Good luck! Please see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Minimally invasive surgery may offer minimal results after weight loss

+1

You have a lot of loose skin of both the breasts and abdomen.  Smartlipo can tighten skin but not enough to take care of this problem.  Also, you are a better candidate for a standard abdominoplasty, not a mini.  It isn't wrong to take the approach you've mentioned but the result will be less than with more aggressive surgery.  Make sure you discuss with your doctor what the expected results are.  I don't want you to be disappointed by not seeing enough improvement.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon