23 and Embarassed of Dark Circles - What Can I Do Without Injectables to Fix This?

Hello. I developed dark circles around my eyes roughly 2 years ago while I was taking accutane for my acne(up to 80mg/daily for the last 2 months or so of treatment).I didn't have them when I was young, and don't think they are hereditary as I am the only one in my family suffering from this. I have tried almost every cream I've found,live a healthy lifestyle,avoid sun,but still cant for the life of me lessen these at all. I was thinking fraxel laser but am unsure. Help me :(

It looks like there is volume loss in the middle of the face

+1

It looks like there is volume loss in the middle of the face, rather than too much skin in the dark circle area. The dark circle is related to a shadow being thrown from the fat prolapse and so filler in the mid face may be a good option for you.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dark circles in lower eyelids

+1

Treatment of dark circles is frustrating in that no one treatment provides consistently good results in all patients. You've tried all creams you mention, and lasers from ablative non fractional carbon dioxide to nonablative fractional lasers may or may not improve the coloration. If you have a tendency to allergies (your eyes are somewhat red) possibly an antihistamine may help. You can check with your doctor if this is appropriate for you as I can not make that recommendation for you without examing you and knowing your medical history. Some patients see improvement with Illume, the Auriderm stable vitamin K cream but there is no guarantee. Even fillers do not correct this in all patients.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Best Treatment for Dark Circles Under the Eyes

+1

Hi Moose,

It is usually hereditary, but doesn't sound that way in your case.  You may try the simple treatment of getting at least 8 hours of sleep a night, and not straining your eyes on computers, smart phones, facebook, twitter, and other sites like RealSelf.com (okay, maybe use RealSelf).  Unfortunately there are no good solutions for dark eye circles.  Fraxel repair has been helpful in some patients who were having the laser treatment for either rejuvenation or for acne scarrring, but again it is not indicated as a stand alone treatment for dark circles.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD