is 225 lbs too heavy to receive good tummy tuck results?

I currently weigh 225 lbs. I've been at this weight for five months. I still have fat in the tummy area, but skin as well. If this my plateau weight, should I go ahead an get a tummy tuck or am I waisting my money?I lost a total of 106 lbs (gastric sleeve). I work out 2 to 3 days a week.

Tummy Tuck after Massive Weight Loss

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss?  In order to better understand your surgical risk, I would need to know your height and evaluate your abdomen.    If your BMI is >30 or you have a large amount of intra-abdominal (visceral) fat, it will be unsafe to perform a tummy tuck procedure until more weight is lost.

Bottomline, I would recommend consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can carefully evaluate you and determine if you are a candidate.  If you are not ready, they can give you goals and make recommendations to help you reach the tummy tuck goal safely and enjoy a wonderful result.

Dr. Gill

Tummy tuck

+2

this depends on your height. Once your BMI is less than 30 then your chances of a problem after surgery improves

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Excess weight and TT

+2

Hi Martymar. A lot of bariatric patients plateau for quite a while but then slowly start losing again. I don't know if this has happened to you or will happen. I can tell you, if you cut out carbs you will lose more weight. Make sure you are following up with your bariatric surgeon and their nutritionist. Photo's would help with our advice. If after everything you still cannot lose anymore wt, you then have 2 options. 

1. have the TT with lipo understanding that your complication rate will definitely be higher.

2. Undergo aggressive liposuction 1st. 6mths later have a TT.

Consult a ps with extensive experience doing post wt. loss body contouring

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Too heavy for tummy tuck?

+2

Congrats on your weight loss!  Absolute weight is not the best measurement, BMI (body mass index) is a better indicator.  Patients with a BMI > 30-32 have a higher risk of complications with any type of body contouring procedure.  Make sure you are at a weight that you feel is ideal before undergoing any surgery, otherwise you may need a revision later if you gain or lose weight.  Good luck!

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

What is your height

+2

If you are over 6'2' tall perhaps -- otherwise you need to get your BMI closer to 25. Get down to your ideal weight then you will have a good result.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy Tuck and Weight Loss

+2

Congrats on your weight loss!  We encourage our patients to achieve their ideal weight before undergoing a Tummy Tuck.  Your health and well being are our utmost concern.  Visit programs such as weight watchers, as well as your medical doctor.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Is 225 lbs too heavy to receive good tummy tuck results?

+2

Our usual threshold for safety and outcome is a BMI of 30 or less. If you are 6 foot 1 you would be under that threshold. If you are 5 foot 6 you would be considerably higher.

The procedure is safer, and the outcome better in patients who are close to their goal weight. Were you to get a TT now, and continued to lose weight to , say 160, you might then need another TT. 

There are exceptions to the threshold, and a discussion with your bariatric surgery team and your plastic surgeon would be the wisest planning you can do.

All the best. 

Overweight patients can get a good result from abdominoplasty.

+1

Not every cosmetic patient is of ideal height and weight. In abdominoplasty can provide a flat abdomen in even overweight patients.