Is 22 to young for Breast Implants? How long until you can work out after surgery?

I am 22, have no children and have lost a lot of weight since high school. Am I too young to be changing my boob size?I eventually want children, how will having implants impact me if I wanted to breast feed? I am a B cup and I want maybe one cup fuller, if I only want one cup fuller, is this just a waste of money? I don't think so at all. I want to continue to lose the weight, however I want to know how will that impact me after I have the surgery? Will I still be able to work out?

Is 22 too young for breast implants? How long until you can work out after surgery?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. Breast augmentation is a procedure often sought by women to increase size, add upper pole fullness and projection along with improve shape and symmetry of her breasts. Women who have the breast augmentation done report increased self-confidence, self-esteem, and more comfortable with her body. In fact, it has been the most popular procedure in plastic surgery in the US for the past few years. Many surgeons use 18 years of age as the standard for when to offer the breast augmentation procedure to women. Maturity and the ability to make an educated decision for yourself of whether this procedure is the right one for you as well as factors regarding implant choice, size, incision placement, position of the implant, other adjunct procedures, etc are major factors. Having the maturity to understand all of the risks and benefits of the surgical procedure is also mandatory - thus, most are readily able to comprehend this at that age. 23 years of age is the FDA guideline for utilization of silicone implants.  Most surgeons restrict vigorous activity/strenuous exercise/heavy lifting for 4-6 weeks

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon well-versed in this procedure. Research your surgeon's education, training, as well as ability to perform this procedure. See postoperative photographs and most importantly choose the one who you feel most comfortable with and competent to meet your expectations. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

22 too young for implants?

+1
You have several questions and a less than straight forward breast augmentation consult so I recommend you seek a board certified plastic surgeon to answer specific questions about your situation in person .  In general 22 is not too young as they are FDA approved for that age.  I will say your desire for future pregnancy plays a larger role then age.  Breasts change a lot with pregnancy so the chances if needing a touch up surgery are higher the more changes there are to your breasts.  Most women can still breast feed after an augmentation and there are ways to do it to improve those chances.  Good luck

Chad K. Wheeler, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

22 is not too young to have breast implant surgery

+1
Thank you for your question.  22 is not too young to have breast implant surgery.

However most surgeons recommend that you delay breast augmentation until after you have finished having children.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Considering a breast augmentation at age 22

+1

All of your questions are good and appropriate for one considering breast augmentation surgery.  It is important to understand that this is a life changing operation and that the choices that you make now will impact your life in the future.

• One cup size increase in breast volume is not an unusual request
  • There are no birth defect associated with breast implants
  • There is no silicone in breast milk due to breast implants
  • There is a chance that you may not be able to breast feed after a breast augmentation
  • You will have to limit your vigorous activities for the first 4 to 6 weeks

Is 22 to young for Breast Implants?

+1
It is not at all uncommon for a young woman in her early 20's to have a breast augmentation. You have a great many questions and we really can't go into them in depth in this forum. I think it's time for you to see a Plastic Surgeon and be sure to write all your questions down so you don't forget them. Your surgeon will be able to go over them all in detail with you.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

+1
No, the age of 22 is not too young to undergo breast augmentation surgery. However, you should consider your life circumstances carefully and time the operation according to your own schedule; other words, timing of  the breast augmentation operation is a very personal decision that only you can make.  You will find, that after a period of time, that you will be able  to return to full activity, including work out, normally.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies   who are considering breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

The use of computer imaging may also be very helpful during this communication process.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help

22 too young for breast augmentation?

+1
22 is not too young for breast augmentation with silicone implants. You should lose all of the weight that you are planning on losing and then get your augmentation.  A physical exam is essential as many patients who have lost a lot of weight also need a breast lift. You will be able to work out after. 

Luis H. Macias, MD

Is 22 the right age for breast augmentation?

+1
You are the right age for a breast augmentation and your request is reasonable but having children will change your breasts. How much they will change is unknown but they usually will shrink after each pregnancy.  You may want to wait until you have had children and see what is left.  I would recommend that you lose your weight before you have the surgery because if you lose your weight after you might be too small after your augmentation.  Speak to your PS and get the pros and cons of having an augmentation and what is right for you.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Age criteria for Breast Implants

+1
22 years of age is not too young to consider breast augmentation using implants. FDA guidelines allow for women 18 years and older to undergo breast augmentation using saline implants. Women 22 years and older may undergo breast augmentation using silicone implants. In some cases, women under 22 years of age may use silicone breast implants for reconstructive purposes.
To answer your other questions:
  • Implants do not affect the ability to breast feed
  • Breast size increase is a personal preference, so 1 cup size increase is up to you
  • Additional weight loss may ultimately decrease your breast size
  • You can continue to work out after breast augmentation
Thank you for your questions. Best wishes.
For additional information about Breast Augmentation:

Gregory Park, MD

Breast Implants

+1
You have posed several questions here. 22 is not too young in my opinion. You are a consenting adult. If you want larger breasts and are healthy enough to have surgery as judged by your surgeon, then have the surgery. As far as going up a cup, that is not unusual. Most patients I see are trying to balance out their figure, not have huge breasts. Breast implants will not affect your pregnancy and if you have them placed via an incision under the breast interference with breast feeding should be minimal. Once you heal you can work out. Depending on what you do at the gym, the downtime could be anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months.

Lee E. Corbett, MD