Is 22 Too Young for a Mommy Makeover?

I have 1 child that is 19 months old. I used to wear a 34b in bra size, now i am a 32 AA. I want to get a breast augmentation, lift, and tummy tuck. I recently had a consult for the mommy makeover that is $13,900. I do not think i'll have any more children in the next 5 years. Maybe later on. But not anytime soon. I asked a whole bunch of questions and have been researching this procedure for a very long time.

What is the Value of the Outcome TO YOU, and How Long will You Enjoy it?

+2

Hi there-

22 is not too young for a Mommy Makeover, as long as you are healthy... 

The bigger question is whether or not having this procedure is going to be worth it to you over the long term... Here's how you should consider the options:

If I understand your question correctly, it sounds like you are at least entertaining the possibility of having more children (although not for 5 years or so). Then we must consider the value of the improvement you could achieve through surgery over the time you would get to enjoy it, as well as the risks you would be taking to have this improvement.

Say you have your procedure now, and that it is done by a skilled and talented plastic surgeon who really know what he is doing, and your recovery goes very smoothly. Let's also say you have another baby 5 years from now. You would then have gotten to enjoy your lovely new body for 5 years, and this enjoyment would have cost you $14,000 (almost $3000 per year). It is also possible that after you are finished having babies, you want a touch up of your breasts or abdomen, and that this will cost you more money, time off of work, and recovery time.

The bottom line is that only you can say what the value of your time and money are to you- and only you can judge how important it is to you to look your best between now and whenever you will have that next baby. If looking great for 5 years, even if it costs you this money, is worth it to you, and you are willing to accept that you may need more surgery later, then it may be the right thing for you...

On the other hand, I think most women would say that they would rather complete their family first, then pursue this kind of an intervention, more confident that they will only have to do it once.

I hope that helps you!

It's not age, it's maturity.

+2

There is no set figure for your surgery. I suggest to patients that if you are in a stable relationship and are planning on having more children, wait for the surgery until you are done having children. Also, I assume you physically are a good candidate. Then you can do it. Another child will probably mess up a good tummy tuck.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Too young for Mommy Makeover

+2

There is no perfect age for a Mommy Makeover, however I do caution young mothers that if you are not done having children, it may not be the most prudent use of your money. I do not recommend muscle tightening in Moms who think they may still have another child. Perhaps you could stage procedures, maybe liposuction and a breast aug if you feel very self conscious...and save the panniculectomy for a little later. 

Best of luck to you, and there is no rush for elective surgery.

Thomas B. Lintner, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover at 22 years old

+2

There is no age "too young" or "too old" for the mommy makeover. It depends on the specific patient and their situation.  I normally ask patients to make sure that they are done having children before having the tummy tuck surgery.  If you think you are done (or at least done for 5+ years), you could consider the mommy makeover.  You have to know that if you get pregnant after you have the procedures performed, you will most likely need some sort of revisionary surgery.

Best wishes!

Is 22 too young for a mommy makeover?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. Breast augmentation is a procedure often sought by women to increase size, add upper pole fullness and projection along with improve shape and symmetry of her breasts. Women who have the breast augmentation done report increased self-confidence, self-esteem, and more comfortable with her body. In fact, it has been the most popular procedure in plastic surgery in the US for the past few years. The mommy makeover has become a very popular procedure as well over the past few years.  Many surgeons use 18 years of age as the standard for when to offer the breast augmentation procedure to women. Maturity and the ability to make an educated decision for yourself of whether this procedure is the right one for you as well as factors regarding implant choice, size, incision placement, position of the implant, other adjunct procedures, etc are major factors. Having the maturity to understand all of the risks and benefits of the surgical procedure is also mandatory - thus, most are readily able to comprehend this at that age. 23 years of age is the FDA guideline for utilization of silicone implants.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon well-versed in this procedure. Research your surgeon's education, training, as well as ability to perform this procedure. See postoperative photographs and most importantly choose the one who you feel most comfortable with and competent to meet your expectations. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Too young for Mommy Make Over

+1

Your age does not make you too young for a Mommy Make Over.

• You lost breast volume. Implants will restore your appearance - whatever your age.
  • Be sure you need a lift. The implant alone lifts the breast. 
  • If you lost muscle support - a tummy tuck restores your core support.
  • You aren't planning more children for five years or longer
  • Since you've been researching this, it sounds important to you.

Surgery makes sense - BUT!! Children are expensive. It's not easy to predict what a child will need.

I advise young parents to not take on debt for cosmetic surgery and to have as much left in savings in the bank as they plant to spend on cosmetic surgery. Hope this helps!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Too Young for a Mommy Makeover

+1

Based on your note, you seem to have the maturity and grasp of the procedure. You seem to realize that additional children will likely lead to additional surgery. If you are in good health and have the necessary postoperative support from family and/or, then you seem to be a good candidate for the procedures. Only you would be able to determine if the financial cost both present and future in terms of time, money, and discomfort will be worthwhile.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Age for Mommy Makeover

+1

Rather than focusing on an age for mommy makeover, I encourage patients to base this decision on whether or not they plan to have more children. This is a very personal decision. Although most people prefer not to have multiple plastic surgery procedures, it is safe to have children after having a mommy makeover surgery, and if you are healthy, it is safe to have additional plastic surgery procedures later on down the road. I typically encourage patients to wait to have mommy makeover procedures until they are finished having children as additional pregnancies can impact your plastic surgery results.

David Whiteman, MD

Mommy Makeover - Best Timing

+1

It is all about risk vs benefit, pros and cons and not about your age. You need to realize that many of the reasons that have resulted in you considering a Mommy Makeover will probably reoccur after your next pregnancy - if that happens. The benefits are obvious - better looking breasts and tummy but you also have to consider the probable risks - two surgeries with their inherent risk, two recovery times, and two costs of surgeries among other factors.

This is why most surgeons recommend that the Mommy Makeover occurs after the last pregnancy.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Mommy Makeover at 22 Years Old

+1

There is not a correct age for a Mommy Makeover procedure.  The most important thing is that you understand what your goals are, and what the procedure can accomplish.  If you are bothered by the changes that have happened to your breasts and abdomen as a result of your pregnancy, a Mommy Makeover may be a good procedure for you.  Be aware, however, that if you do have children in the future, many of the good results of your Mommy Makeover will be affected.  If you do have more children, you might need to consider that a secondary procedure may be necessary to regain your good results.

Always choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. 

Dr. Skourtis

Mia E. Skourtis, MD