I Am 22 Years Old with 2 Cm Earlobes They Are Not Really Big but I Would Love to Reduce Them a Bit Though How Bad Can This Be

I am 22 years old male with 2 cm earlobes. they are not really big but i would love to reduce them a bit though. How bad can this be? and could the doctor refuse to do this surgery in this case ?

Ear lobe reduction

+1

Ear lobe reduction is a relatively straightforward procedure, which can be performed easily under local anesthesia alone in the surgeon's office. Make sure to discuss with your surgeon exactly which incision plan will be used; there are several choices, each with their own unique benefits and drawbacks.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 cm earlobes and desire for reduction

+1

There are some norms out there. The earlobe should be about 1.5 long at maximum.  The base should be about 1 cm and it should hang about 0.5cm. This procedure is not a big deal and could be done just under local anesthesia in a minimally invasive way.  Below is a video to illustrate our answer better. We have other informative videos and information on our website and a link is included to help you find us.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe Reduction

+1

Earlobe reduction is a common procedure typically done in the office with minimal down time and scarring.  Find a surgeon who performs this regularly and discuss the procedure, risks and benefits, in more detail.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe reduction

+1

Actually, there are several clever ways to reduce the size of earlobes.  Usually, this type of surgery can be done under local anesthesia in an office setting with basically no down time.  The resulting scars from such procedures are usually minimal.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Ear lobe reduction

+1

You may be a good candidate for this procedure. However you must consider the degree of “deformity” (your concern about the size of the ear lobe) against the potential complications that may arise after surgery. For example, depending on your skin type, you may end up with raised or pigmented scars that may bother you more than the initial earlobe size. Furthermore the scars may be difficult to treat/improve.

You may also end up with overly–reduced earlobes  and/or earlobe asymmetry.

Make sure you consult with a well-trained/experienced/ethical plastic surgeon to address her concerns. Best wishes.

Many ways to reduce an earlobe

+1

As mentioned, you can certainly have this procedure done.  Your surgeon should guide you through the different ways this can be achieved and the anticipated scar that will result from this.  This way, you should be aware of what kind of result you should achieve in terms of how much smaller your lobe will be and the scar that will result from this.  Please understand that the risks are real and do happen with this procedure.

Curtis Wong, MD

Ear lobe reduction

+1

Ear lobe reduction is a straight forward  procedure when done properly.  It is performed under local anesthesia in most cases.  It is not covered by insurance since it is considered cosmetic.  In your case a simple excision with the final incision line hidden would suffice.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Male earlobe reduction

+1

Earlobes can be reduced to more appropriately fit the rest of the ear and face.  It is most often done in the setting of rejuventation procedures but can be done at any age.  It is important that the incisions are well hidden so that they are not noticeable in the young patient such as yourself. Good luck. 

Gregory Branham, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe Reduction

+1

This is certainly possible!  I have done this for patients who need earlobe reduction after trauma, to correct asymmetry between the earlobes, and for patients just wanting to reduce the size of their ears.  Please contact my office for additional details.

Kimberly Lee, MD