22-year old Persian female with acne scars and hormonal acne breakouts. Which scar treatment is suitable for me? (photo)

Hi. I have red marks and a few deeper scars, mostly boxcar scars. Is it ok to have scar treatment even though I occasionally get acne? Some months I have mild acne with a few whiteheads or pimples, and other months there could be 2-3 cysts on my cheeks. What treatment would be recommended for me? TCA Peel or laser? If laser, which kind? Do I focus on the redness first or can I get rid of both the redness and the indented scars with the same kind of treatment? Thank you in advance.

Several Different Approaches

+1
There are several different approaches to acne scars depending on the depth of the scarring. Glycolic creams and washes can help fade the pigmented scars. For uneven texture and pitted scars prescription retinoid creams are useful but also take time. A more aggressive and faster approach can be used through treatments of microdermabrasion, chemical peels, and laser treatment. Several different lasers help with this type of scarring such as Fraxel, SmoothBeam, and the Aura. Consult with a dermatologist for specific laser for scarring appropriate to your skin type.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne Scar Treatment for Persian Skin

+1
If you have red and depressed scars then the best treatment would be two different lasers that each focus on improving your concerns.

For Persian patients with acne scars I prefer to use the Ematrix. The Ematrix system uses Sublative RF- fractioned bi-polar radio frequency technology to effectively place heat energy into the dermis. This causes deep dermal impact with minimal down time. The reason I choose the Ematrix is because the RF technology is safe and effective for all skin types. The Ematrix treatments can improve your scars over time with a series of treatments.

For the Redness I believe that Vbeam Perfecta is the best laser. Vbeam is a pulsed dye laser that is gold standard for removing Red on the skin. It is excellent for red acne scars, broken capillaries, rosacea, port wine stains and many other conditions. Typically you would need a series of treatments to see best results.

Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see what treatment is best for you and how many sessions you will need.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon