I Am a 22 Year Old with Long Face Syndrome What Should I Do to Gain Face Width? (photo)

Hello, I have a very thin face due to years of mouth breathing and and just being constantly slack jawed. This has caused my face to look extremely oblong in the last few years I've lost my cheeks, I just have one deep line on both sides of my cheek and I'm just very unhappy about my appearance, I used to think I was somewhat attractive in my late teens but now there's no sign of that. My cheekbones are non-existent. I will be having a upper jaw impaction surgery soon is there anything I can do?

I Am a 22 Year Old with Long Face Syndrome What Should I Do to Gain Face Width?

+2

Aesthetically speaking, your face does appear rectangular and elongated.  This happens because the cheeks are flat.  Cheek Augmentation with Cheek Implants for a permanent change or fillers for a temporary one.  Hope this helps.

Treatment of Long face syndrome

+2

The short answer for you may be to consider midface and cheek fillers to add volume to your face which would give the illusion of a shorter face. I would do this after your jaw surgery. I would consider temporary fillers first such as restylane, juvederm or radiesse before considering fat augmentation or possibly implants depending upon whether you like the effects or not. Good luck.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Long Face Syndrome

+1
There are several ways to go. One would be by a camouflage surgery, either temporary (fillers) or permanent ( malar prostheses). The other would be by treating the cause of the problem , that is by enlarging your malar bones with osteotomies to augment your facial width. In some cases a counterclockwise rotation of the maxila and mandible brings excellent aesthetic results, without using any synthetic material in your face. 

Joan Birbe Foraster, MD, DDS, PhD
Spain Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Cheek implants can increase facial width & fullness

+1

Cheek implants would give the illusion of a wider and fuller face.  Cheek implants are inserted through an intraoral incision just above the upper teeth and placed directly over the cheekbone.  They are composed of silastic and come in different sizes and shapes.  The appropriate implant size and shape for patients are determined at consultation with their facial plastic surgeon.  Most patients elect to undergo this procedure under general anesthesia.  Expect 10-14 days of puffiness in the cheek area afterwards.