22 Year Old No Kids, Tummy Tuck with or Without Muscle Repair?

I am a 22y/o with no kids that has lost over 50lbs in the past year.I've consulted 2 PS's&am confused as to what the right decision is concerning muscle repair.PS#1 suggested a standard tummy w/MR because of muscle laxity,PS#2 suggested an extended tummy tuck with no/MR because of the possibility of having kids in the future.Both surgeons agree the removal of fat&skin will weight approx.8-10lbs,either way the reults will render a dramatic difference.Does MR affect future pregnancies, if so how?

To repair muscles

+1

The fact that you had your muscles tightened during a tummy tuck will not affect your ability to get pregnant so have them tightened.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Muscle Repair and Pregnancy

+1

The term "muscle repair" is actually a tightening procedure that is performed involving the fascia of the abdominal wall. The effects of this tightening are to bring the rectus muscles closer together. Initially, this repair relies on the strength of the sutures placed. Over time, the fascia scars to itself and the sutures are unnecessary. Any intraabdominal volume (obesity, pregnancy, etc.) will cause this fascia to stretch and the muscles to separate. This is true even after a "muscle repair" from surgery if one is to become pregnant. I know of no studies or reports that pregnancy following muscle repair in a tummy tuck is impacted.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and muscle repair

+1

If there is looseness of the muscle fascia, repair will be beneficial. This should not affect future pregnancies. Standard vs. extended tummy tuck relates to skin and fat excision. You need to consider  the longer scar with an extended tummy tuck as well as the additional skin and fat removal to decide about that.

Ernest D. Cronin, MD

Muscle Repair in Tummy Tuck Should Not Affect Future Pregnancy

+1

It is impossible to tell you if you would benefit from a muscle repair at the time of your tummy tuck without an examination.  If you choose to have a muscle repair, it should not negatively impact on your future pregnancies.  If you have been told that 8-10 pounds of skin and fat would be removed, you might benefit from further weight loss prior to your surgery.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy tuck and muscle repair

+1

After a large weight loss you could have a degree of abdominal wall laxity which would benefit from plication("repair") in spite of the fact that you have not had a pregnancy.Doing this will not make your subsequent pregnancy any more difficult.

David A. Bottger, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Muscle repair with tummy tuck

+1

I personally know of no data or studies to say that a "muscle repair" during abdominoplasty would affect future pregnancy. The reality is that we don't actually repair the muscles, but rather, we tighten the fascia over the muscles, which is the tough investing layer that covers the muscle. I do not think it would affect the abdomen's stretchability for a future pregnancy. Put another way, I have not declined to tighten the fascia on any woman of child-bearing age based on any future concerns.

If you would like another opinion, I would be happy to see you in the office for a complementary consultation.

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon