I'm 22 and Wanted to Know if Tummy Tuck is the Right Way to Go (photo)

I weigh about 185lbs and I'm 5'9. I plan on losing 40 lbs to reach my ideal weight. I have a lot of unattractive stretch marks and do not have any kids. I plan on having kids maybe 7 years from now or maybe 8 years. I want to look good now! I want to know if getting a tummy tuck is the right decision to make?

+2
The ideal tummy tuck patient is happy at a current and stable weight, and not planning to become pregnant. That being said, I have seen patients who got pregnant after a tummy tuck, but they generally needed some more abdominal work done after pregnancy. If you are planning on changing your weight, do that first, and be happy and stable at that weight. Then go see a plastic surgeon and discuss your options. Given your photograph, I think you can plan on having a tummy tuck, even after 40lb weight loss. Hope that helps!
CDK

Reston Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

I think you may be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery; you should be commended on your weight loss program  and reaching your long-term goal weight prior to surgery.

You should be aware of the option of an “extended” tummy tuck procedure. This procedure may be helpful for some patients who are concerned  about the “muffin top” or "love handles” (flank or lower back skin and adipose tissue).  This area becomes a potential source of patient dissatisfaction when they wear  the current fashionable low riding jeans. Treatment of the stubborn muffin top involves excision (lipectomy) of excess skin and adipose tissue.

You are also correct in that further surgery may be necessary after pregnancy;  on the other hand, you have 7 years to enjoy the results of the tummy tuck surgery.