I'm 22 and Considering a Mastopexy After Severe Weight Changes Throughout my Life, Can I Do It w/o Implants? (photo)

I'm 5'2 and am currently at a 38DD. I'm about 150lbs currently but at my heaviest was around 220lbs. I realize I'm still very young but I've become very self-conscious about the stretch marks and sagging throughout my body. I'd very much like to have my breasts lifted without implants but from what I've read, I'm not sure that's likely. Advise please? Thanks! :)

Mastopexy after weight loss

+2

I would strongly advise you not to include an implant with a mastopexy at your size, after weight loss, and with a reasonable volume and shape of breast. Your breasts will not get bigger with a lift but they will look bigger and the minimal projection implant that fits your breast will normally increase it a cup size which is not very meaningful or desirable when starting from a D cup. 

I would disagree with one answer relating to scars from a vertical type lift. In my opinion you don't need a wise-pattern (boat anchor) type incision and those with extensive experience with vertical lift incisions (lollipop incisions) do not have added scar problems at the level you need lifting. I would also add that the "Ultimate Breast Lift" is not a well established technique with years of experience and like many early procedures with capital letters for names, may not be as good as it sounds. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift alone is certainly reasonable

+2

from the info and pix you provide (without benefit of in-person exam), it does seem very reasonable to have a mastopexy procedure without implants. make sure your weight has stabilized before proceeding...you would not want to lose more weight after having the procedure. congratulations on your success getting in shape!

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift surgery can be done if you are happy with your breast size but are unhappy with your breast shape.

+2

The most important question you need to ask yourself is whether you are happy with your breast size. If you are then I would recommend you seek out a board certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience and documented reliable mastopexy results. Togehter you can decide whether mastopexy alone will achieve the reslts you are looking for.

Laurie Casas, MD

Large breasted women DO NOT need implants to have upper pole fullness

+2

Dear Allie,

With size 38DD, you certainly DO NOT need implants in conjunction with your lift. The most frequently used techniqe for lifting breasts involves a procedure developed in 1957 using a boat anchored shape scar. Other techniques use vertical scars which are unattractive. There is a new technique called the Ultimate Breast LIft that is engineered specifically to lift breasts with hidden incisions and avoids vertical scars. This technique also produces upper pole fullness, which is not possible with standard techniques. You are an excellent candidate for this revolutionary technique. It's worth looking into. Best wishes,

Dr. Horndeski

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Mastsopexy and Breast Augmentation

+2

Hello Allie in Cali,

Breast implants will not help lift your breasts and a breast lift will not make your breasts full on top.

Your breasts are still very full and heavy. A traditional skin-only mastopexy would reposition your nipple areolar complex nicely (and permanently), but the weight and pressure of your breast tissue will quickly lead to skin stretch and a very common problem called 'drop out', where the bottom of the breast sags down again, typically near it's original position.  Although the plastic surgery literature is rife with the concept of 'internal sutures' to help keep the breast lifted, none have shown truly effective when photometric analysis was performed.

In order to achieve an effective and durable breast lift, you will need a reduction of the breast tissue that hangs in addition to the extra skin. This 'unweighting' of the remaining breast skin will minimize stretching and the recurrent sagging associated with it.

Based on these recommendations, you may want to have breast implants to restore some lost volume and/or improve upper pole fullness (like the picture of you hoising your breasts).

Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast Lift or Implants

+2

If you are happy with your size in an unpadded bra you should go with a breast lift alone. The lift will make you a little smaller because some skin is removed but overall your proportion of breast volume to chest size looks fine to me. It's always better to go without the implants if you can because there is none of the future implant maintenance to worry about. As one of the other doctors mentioned, there are scars and they are forever, but they usually fade pretty well. Please make sure to see several different patient photos at your doctor's office to make sure you understand where the scars are and what they will look like.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

You need lift and no implants

+2

You have done a great job by losing the 70 lbs. You have enough breast volume and need only lift to change the breast shape and position.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy and implants

+2
from your stated cup size and the pictures I cannot imagine many people offering you implants along with a mastopexy. a mastopexy remember comes along with some significant scars so be careful if you are not trading 1 problem for another.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lifting Without Implants?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Congratulations on your significant weight loss;  if you are close to your long-term stable weight you may be a good candidate for breast surgery.

Whether you'll be pleased with the results of breast lifting surgery alone depends  on the goals you are trying to achieve. For example, if you do not wish to have an increased size or significantly more volume at the top of each breast,  then you may be an excellent candidate for breast lifting alone. Breast implants are not mandatory with the goals outlined above.It 

Would be in your best interests  to meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in person when the timing is right for you. Life circumstances such as weight gain/loss and/or pregnancy may determine the right time to undergo the procedure.

When you do meet with the plastic surgeons communicate your goals clearly;  I prefer to do this with the patient standing in front of the full-length mirror and with the  help of “goal” pictures.

Breast lift

+1

You do not need implants. If you have a lift, your size will not change, but your breasts will be lifted and perkier. Implants will make you larger.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon