I Am 21 Years Old Can I Go for Hair Transplant? (photo)

I am 21 years old with almost rim of hair left , so what are options for me . can I go for hair transplant

Young and balding

If you have had this much hair loss at age 21, you might consider medication to preserve the hair you still have. I would not recommend transplanting the crown area.

Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options are best discussed with your doctor after an exam.

A doctor needs to examine you first to make sure you are a surgery candidate with good donor hair. The examination may find that you may be at an increased risk of further hair loss and the surgery may actually make the you look WORSE or require more surgery.

You also have to understand that hair transplant surgery is not a cure and that they will continue to have further hair loss of non-transplanted hairs. You need to have realistic goals and understand what is possible and what is not possible with surgery.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Start with non-invasisve at this age

There are many methods of hair transplantation.  Wanted them RFUE and another can be a surgical flap.  Grafts can be taken with as few as one hair follicle or multiple follicles.  The quality of the hair, the number of follicles per unit and the location in which the hair is to be placed are all important determinants in the final result.  While it is a common misconception that hair can and should be taken from any location, taking appropriate hair from an appropriate location is key to success.  For instance, one cannot always use hair from a beard to replace a frontal hairline.  The orientation in which Harris placed is also important.  If the frontal hairline is being created then it is important to make sure that hairs are aligned in the correct orientation.  The way the hair is also laid down, for example a staggered pattern versus a straight line will also change the quality of the result.  You should certainly visit with a surgeon who does many of these types of transplantations as well as offers multiple options for hair restoration.  The cost can vary by geographic locale.  In general they can arrange from $7000-$25,000.  When you go over consultation ask for before and after photographs.

Hair Transplant in Young Patients

The conventional approach is the assumption of poor candidacy due to young age. These days however, with the advent of advanced FUE techniques such as my uGraft which enable the use of head and non head hair in transplantation, even young patients can be evaluated and counseled for a possible hair transplant. With this degree of hair loss at your age, it should be assumed you would be terminally bald eventually. SO any use of head donor must be strictly within the confines of the safe donor area. Next, you should do FUE instead of FUT strip method, since you level of hair loss would likely favor buzz cutting your hair at some point. A strip scar would preclude this hair grooming choice. Finally, a Buzz cut would cut donw on the number of grafts you would require in the long run. Definitely consult with  a hair loss specialist. Watch this vide which discusses a successful HT approach in a young patient.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair Transplant in Young

The dilemma of hair restoration at young age is still not resolved. At one side is the strong psychological need for hair and on other side is the practical issue of on-going loss and final graft requirement. One has to devise a plan to balance these issues in long term. My personal approach to this problem is,

1. Stabilization: Stop or minimize ongoing hair loss with medicines. This not only delays baldness, but may even result in some cosmetically useful growth. 2. Frontal Coverage: A mature hairline design with deep temporal troughs and emphasis on frontal forelock region, not just hairline.

3. Conservation: Minimum number of hair adequate for desired cosmetic results should be used. My personal preference is FUE in such patients, as we can pick and choose the type of grafts. Avoid dense packing.

4. Reassess: As the need arises, further sessions should be incorporated in the plan. Body hairs should be used judiciously when required.

Perhaps, the most pertinent advice would be to plan long term with your doctor. Keep your expectations low and head high.

Sharad Mishra, MS, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

Work Up & Stabilize First

Your hair loss looks like it is genetic, but a dermatologist's evaluation with a biopsy, if necessary, should be considered before doing anything.

I believe it would be a bad idea to have a hair transplant, especially for the back at your age. It would be best to try to stabilize the hair loss with medications first. Good quality professional photography can help to determine if the hair loss has stopped, or at least been significantly been retarded. Wait a minimum of one year of stability before considering surgery.

Save your (limited) donor hair for the front.

Alexander Lewis, MD
Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair Loss At 21

All the recommendations you have gotten are correct.  You should wait until you hair loss pattern becomes stable.  Then the true nature of the loss can be evaluated and potentially treated.

Dr. ES

Preserving the frontal hairline is main priority with hair transplantation at a young age

I agree with the first 2 Doctors. You can certainly consider hair transplantation, but you have too much hair loss to even consider transplanting the crown area at this time. There is always enough donor hair to reconstruct the frontal hairline , but with severe balding there will not be enough donor hair to transplant the entire top of the head. Anti-balding medications (oral and topical ) also need to be part of the plan.

Richard Fitzpatrick, MD (in memoriam)
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair loss at age 21

You have advanced hair loss for your age. You need to get in to a hair transplant surgeon to discuss all of your medical and surgical options.  Evn though you show your crown, the frontal hairline will take priority.  All of this will be discussed during your in-person consultation.  Do not think that you will get all the answers you need from the internet.  Best, Dr. P

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplant Age

At this age it is best to develop a careful plan with your physician before undergoing anything.  You may have to do a combination of approaches that includes medications.  Always consult directly with an MD or 2 if you can. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist