Im 21 Years Old and I Had Ptosis in my Left Eye After Giving Birth?

Im 21 years old and after having my 3 year old daughter I noticed my eye was droopy and it stayed like that ..A week ago I got ptosis eye surgery and I dont see a diffrence my eye is still droopy is it normal because of the swelling.....thank you

Eyelid Ptosis after Giving Birth

+2

One week is still early. Be patient and let the eyelid heal to determine if your ptosis surgery was successful in fixing your drooping eye. In adults, the most common type of ptosis is called “involutional ptosis.” This condition is due to a stretching or thinning of the muscle responsible for lifting the eyelids. While I cannot determine if your ptosis was caused by giving birth (rare) or developed because of other factors, I recommend you consult with the surgeon who performed your ptosis surgery for follow-up advice.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

21 Years Old and I Had Ptosis in my Left Eye After Giving Birth?

+2

1 week is still early in the post-op period.  Just like you suggested, let the swelling go down before coming to any conclusion as to whether the surgery was successful or not.  Rarely, but sometimes, it takes 6 months for all the swelling to go away.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

It is common for the ptotic eyelid to be heavy right after surgery.

+2

As the swelling disappears, the eyelid will hopefully improve.  This would be very normal.  If the eyelid does not open up after 4 to 6 weeks, then the result may be disappointing.  I recommend that you stay patient at this point.

Acquired Ptosis is unusual when this young

+2

Newly acquired ptosis in this age group is somewhat unusual. There are some neurological conditions that may cause ptosis. It is still quite early in the postoperative period however. Swelling is likely still present and will improve in time.

If things have not improved by 3 months, I would get a second opinion with a Neuro-ophthalmologist or Oculoplastic surgeon.

Good luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon