21 Year Old Seeking Advice For Sagging Face And Facial Depressions. (photo)

Hi Ive had a terrible cheek biting habit since I was 9. I would constantly pull down on my face to bite the inside of my cheek. Now at 21 Ive noticed that I have frown lines, and the left side of my face hangs slightly lower than the right. I also have these slight depressions beneath my eyes. Is this irreversible? Im so embarrased by this and it is weighing heavily on my self esteem. I am experiencing depression as well. What are my options to fix this so I can feel like the old me again?

Depression and appearance

+2

There may be issues that bother you that are not easily perceived by others.  That can make you depressed and other people who are depressed can be bothered by items of their appearance. Is it the skin changes that make one person depressed or depression that makes one view themselves differently.  It's not unusual that when issues in life clear up and people become happier with significant others, work, school or themselves, that the cosmetic issues that bothered them previously are no longer a concern to them. The photograph doesn't demonstrate well the changes that bother you. Did scarring occur from the cheek biting that has caused contracture and is pulling on one side of the corner of the mouth more than the other to cause what you refer to as slanting? You would need to be examined in-person for a physician to give you good advice.  Hollowness of the lower eyelids can be improved with fillers. See a board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

Facial asymmetry, aging and fillers

+2

Rest assured, facial aging and facial asymmetry are two parts of growing up. It is inescapable even by Hollywood stars! It is normal and in no way detracts from one's beauty. As we age a variety of things can be done to preserve our appearance or sculpt it your liking with treatments like botox, injectable fillers and eventually surgery. Everyone has unique changes and needs. Fillers such as restylane and juvederm are a perfect place to start in softening hollow circles under the eyes, asymmetry in cheeks and folds around the mouth.

Scott M. Goldstein, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Treatment of Facial Sagging and Depressions

+2

All I see on the picture submitted is the presence of a hallow area at the margin of your lower eyelid, but this is an inherited characteristic unrelated to biting your cheek. This can easily be treated with the injection of fat or fillers, such such as Restylane. It would be beneficial to consult with a psychologist or a psychiatrist  about your depression.

Fillers can be used to treat minor facial asymmetries and hollow eyes

+2

You appear to be a beautiful young woman who should not be depressed about these minor facial irregularities. Fillers like Restylane and Juvederm can be used to treat the hollow area under your eyes and to restore your facial symmetry. This can be achieved in one easy office appointment. I do not believe that your lip biting has caused the facial sagging. Nevertheless, please make sure you seek professional help for your depression. 

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatement for a sagging face?

+2

Don't be depressed your problems are easily corrected with some fillers, which is an easy in office procedure.  The biggest problem I see are the hollows under your eyes.  If the slight assymetry of the left side of your face is bothersome to you this can also be improved with some fillers.  The only other recommendation I would make is some rejuvenation to your overall skin tone with a light chemical peel or microdermabrasion.  The good news is that all these procedures are easily accomplished in your doctor's office and require no downtime. 

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Fillers and Botox

+2

From the one picture provided, it looks like you could benefit from some facial fillers such as Juvederm to help sculpt your facial features.  Botox will help with your skin and can elevate your frown.  A chemical peels such as VIPeel will be helpful in softening your skin.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

You are too hard on yourself.

+2
The is no evidence in this photo of long term damage to the face from lip biting. You appear in this low resolution picture to have a bit of skin scaring from acne. The hollowness in the lower eyelid is normal and might benefit from a little filler. Your lips are beautiful and need nothing.