Can I Have Someone 21 or Older Thats Not my Parent Consent my Labiaplasty Due to the Fact my Mother Isnt Understanding?

im 15 and HATE my labia minora. They cause so much discomfort and makes me very insecure about my body. im not sexually active and don't plan to be anytime soon, i just want to be able to sit down without pain or discomfort. my mother isnt the type of mother that you could talk to about these things and thats uncomforable to talk to my father about this...i wanted to have my 26 year old cousin take me for the surgery but wanted to make sure she's allowed even though she's not my parent or gaurdian. -Asia

Labiaplasty For Discomfort with Sitting in 15 year old

+1

Unfortunately, a parent or legal guardian has to give consent for a procedure if the patient is under 18.  

Age of Consent

+1

Each state and country has its own variations from a legal standpoint but, in general, someone under the age of consent cannot agree to something legally without a parent or guardian authorizing it.  This is, of course, more of a legal than a medical question...I am sorry that you are so uncomfortable, but I'm afraid that until you reach the age of consent for wherever you reside, you will have to defer to your parents' wishes on this matter.

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Surgical consent cannot be given by minors

+1

in the US and I assume its the same for most countries.  You can either wait until you reach the age of consent and simply tolerate your symptoms or you can have that heart to heart discussion with your mother and convince her that you can benefit from such a procedure.  Please realize your impression could be entirely different from the surgeon you choose to see.  Surgeons in general will operate if they know with near certainty that the procedure will accomplish your goals.

Curtis Wong, MD

Labia Minora Reduction for 15 Year Old?

+1

Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for labia minora reduction surgery regardless of your age. However, when it comes to informed consent, your parent or legal guardian must be involved.

I would suggest that you sit down with your mother and discuss in a calm/constructive fashion the symptoms the redundant labia minora tissue causes for you. It may even be helpful to take her along to the consultation process.

Best wishes;   hopefully you will be able to have the procedure performed soon  and will be very pleased with the results of the procedure.

Teenage Labiaplasty

+1

In most cases, until you are 18 years old you need the consent of a parent or legal guardian before having any kind of surgical procedure.  A cousin will not be able to substitute.   

However, don't despair and although the topic may be uncomfortable, I would really try bringing it up with your mother.  Tell her how much it bothers you and about the pain.  Sometimes just sitting together with a doctor can help.  I have performed a labiaplasty on someone in high school before and shortly after she had her procedure her mother came in to the have a labiaplasty as well.  The mother never considered it until her daughter requested it.  

If she says no, then be patient and wait few years.  

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Parental consent for labiaplasty

+1

Although I have actually operated on a 15 yo patient with significant problems from labia minora hyperplasia (overgrowth), it does always require consent from either a parent or legal adult guardian.  You may be pleasantly surprised once you open up the discussion with your mother and find out that she empathizes with your concerns more than you think.  This is a problem that starts along with the growth spurt of everything else during puberty so it is not surprising that you are faced with this at the age of 15 yo.  Glad to help...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Parent or Guardian Needed for Consent

+1

No, you need a parent or adult legal guardian sign for you.  Perhaps your cousin can speak to your doctor's office and have one of the nurses call your mother about your condition and the need for surgery.  Labiaplasty is one of the most misunderstood operations we do, so a medical explanation is often needed for full understanding.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD