I Weigh 165, but I Am Not Going to Lose More Weight, Am I A Candidate For Liposuction to the Waist and Stomach?

In the last three years, I've lost about 30 pounds. The last time I weighed 165 was probably in elementary school, so I haven't had any drastic weight changes in the last 10 years. My hips, waist, and bust have the exact same measurement. I like my size, but I'd love to have a smaller waist or flatter stomach. Is liposuction a good option for me?

Candidate for liposuction to the waist and stomach.

+1
From the picture seen, you do appear to be a candidate.  Laser liposuction would also produce some tightening of the skin, which would give you an overall great look.

Liposuction??

+1
It's always hard to tell from photos alone but liposuction may work for you. The issue is skin quality and muscle position. If your skin quality is good with few stretch marks then lipo can work out nicely, especially if you have minimal muscle separation from pregnancy. If that is not the case then a tummy tuck will tighten loose skin as well as realign muscles displaced by pregnancy. Hope that helps, to get the best oppinon I would book a few consultations with local plastic surgeons in your area.

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Liposuction to improve shape, not to lose weight

+1

You would need to be examined. As long as your health is good, and there is a depot of fat that is not going to be reduced further by diet or exercise (liposuction is not an alternative to exercise) then you may be a candidate for liposuction. You must maintain a healthy diet and some element of exercise to avoid putting the weight back on after the surgery.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction as an option

+1

Although there’s no substitute for good diet and exercise, sometimes there’s only so much we can do to reverse nature’s cruelties. That’s where science comes in. Liposuction works best on patients who are of relatively average weight, but who need help with a problem area, such as the abdomen, or with shedding the ten pounds they regain between diets. If you have good skin quality and minimal sagging, you make an ideal candidate for liposuction. 

Liposuction modifies volume by sucking out fat and because liposuction stimulates the skin to tighten, good elasticity provides a smooth contour after fat is removed. The procedure takes about an hour, the recovery takes just a couple of days, and there's virtually no scarring. I use several innovative forms of liposuction, including SmartLipo, in order to contour and resculpture the area while providing the most beautiful results with minimal scarring. SmartLipo, used in combination with other forms of liposuction or alone, is a procedure that uses laser light to liquefy fat and tighten the surrounding skin. Liposuction as an outpatient procedure under I.V. sedation can easily reduce the bulge that some people have in their abdomens.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Liposuction and lipotransfer equal liposculpture in my hands

+1

You look like a good candidate for what I call liposculpture. In this procedure I'd harvest three thousand milliliters of fat (3x2.2=pounds) and infuse or (fat graft) about five hundred milliliters in your breasts your butt, or both. The reason I now offer liposculpture more than liposuction (a procedure I've performed for 20 years) is that transfers make my patients more shapely. I can suction areas and fill others to give my patient shape not just less fat. Artistry is key. I want all my patients to look better not just flatter. This is a tricky subject because we board certified plastic surgeons are all trained to not "sell" surgery since surgery carry risks, but a balance between science and art is what we should strive to achieve. I am not saying you should have this surgery, I'm just asking you to consider it before all that beautifull fat is thrown away when it could be put to great use.

Ayman Hakki, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction should make a noticeable difference for you.

+1

From your photo, it seems that liposuction would make a big difference for you on the full abdomen and hips which will give a much smaller waist for roughly $5-6.000 on special (7-8000 normally) under tumescent local anesthesia.  You can usually be back to work in 2 days and exercising in 1 week.  Sincerely,  David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

Yes , I recommend 4 liters of liposuction with the Body Jet lipo system, but any type of lipo will do. Seek in person opinions from boarded PSs in your area. 

Liposuction candidate?

+1

You do not mention whether you have had children.  Without examining you, it is difficult to determine what is the condition of your skin, the thickness of the subcutaneous fat layer (which is what would be reduced by liposuction), the integrity or laxity of your underlying abdominal wall fascia and muscles, and how much fat is present in your peritoneal cavity (around yoru bowels) (which can only be reduced by dieting). 

What it comes down to is the following: If you have increased thickness of subcutaneous ("pinchable") fat, you can have some reduction in size by liposuction.  If your skin has good tone, it will "spring back" well, but if the tone is poor or it is already loose, it will get looser (though your size would still be smaller and for some that is a reasonable trade-off).  If you are looking for correction of loose skin and/or loose fascia and muscles (usually from pregnancy), that would require a tummy tuck.  If you carry a lot of fat in the peritoneal cavity, only diet will help that. However, my best initial guess based only on that one photo and not examining you is that you would see some size reduction by liposuction.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Maybe so, but you might need a tummy tuck

+1

Lauren,

Without examining you, it is impossible to determine for certain whether the majority of the fullness seen in your photograph is the result of just fat or if there is sufficient loose abdominal skin and/or muscle looseness to cause this appearance.

If the fullness is mainly due to excess fat, then liposuction alone might be the answer.  Of course, if you have skin or muscle issues, a tummy tuck might be a better option.

My advice would be to select a board certified plastic surgeon and make arrangements for a consultation.  Most of us in Utah do not charge a fee for this evaluation by the way.  This will give you the best options for a safe and pleasing result.

Good luck,

Brian K. Brzowski, MD, FACS

Ogden, UT

brzowski.com

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon