Fibrocystic Breast Disease: Candidate for Breast Reduction Surgery?

I'm 20 years old, 4 ft 11 inches with 36D's, borderline DD's. I have fibrocystic Breast Disease in both breast and am waiting to have a ultrasound done to see if I have a tumor in my right breast. I can not tell you how much pain I am in. I am miserable. Am I a good candidate for Reduction surgery? Will my problems affect my chances of having it or will it help me? What should I do?

Breast Reduction and Fibrocystic Breast Disease?

+1

The presence of fibrocystic breast disease does not contraindicate breast reduction surgery. Assuming your pain is exacerbated by the larger breasts,  you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery.

Consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon will be helpful.

Breast reduction

+1

Breast reductions surgery may or may not improve your symptoms, but you have to check with your insurance company regarding criteria for approval.

Breast Reduction

+1

Hi there-

Whether or not you would be helped by breast reduction surgery really depends on the nature and origin of your pain...

From the sound of it, it would be common for you to have pain in your shoulders and back, which is almost always improved (if not eliminated) after breast reduction surgery.

If your pain is originating in your breasts, however (as is often the case in patients with fibrocystic tissue), it is likely that your pain will persist even after a very well done breast reduction operation.

Your best bet is to complete your evaluation and discuss your pain with your primary care doctor and/or GYN. If they think an evaluation for breast reduction is in your best interests, you should then find a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and visit for an evaluation.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast reduction

+1

It sounds like you are an excellent candidate for a breast reduction. You should be aware though of the scars involved which usually heal well with time. You may want to go to my website and watch a complete video of me doing a reduction. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction and Fibrous Breasts

+1

Based on the size of your frame, it sounds like your breasts are fairly large, resulting in pain and discomfort.  It does not hurt to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon, since only on direct examination can you determine whether youa re a good candidate for the surgey or not.  The fact that your breasts are very fibrous doe snot preclude you from having the surgery or hinder it in any way.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction often relieves the pain in symptomatic, large breasts

+1

Large breasts are often associated with neck and shoulder pain as well as breast discomfort. We frequently see compensatory enlargement of the neck muscles, recurrent rashes under the breasts and inability to engage in many sports and social activities. Psychological issues associated with breast size are common.

From what you describe you should have a great result with a Breast Reduction. But the procedure is not assured to relieve your pain IF the pain is caused by another process (such as a herniated disc etc).

I would consult with a good Plastic surgeon (www.PlasticSurgery.org) and see what he advises you.

Good Luck.

Breast reduction may not relieve breast pain.

+1

Hi.

1)  Women with very large breasts typically have pain in their neck or shoulders or back, that is helped by breast reduction.  You need to be sure what's causing the pain in your breasts themselves, because surgery may not help this.  But you will probably look better and feel more comfortable in general after breast reduction.

2)  Make sure your breasts have stopped growing before you have a breast reduction.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Good candidate for breast reduction surgery

+1

Yes, you are a great  candidate for reduction from your description. But a photo would have helped us. Go see 3 boarded PS in your area.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Breast reduction for pain in the shoulders and back, not the breasts

+1

Even if you have a reduction, because of fibrocystic disease remaining in the rest of the breast and the cyclical hormonal changes you have, it is very possible that you would still have pain after a reduction.  The kind of pain most have a reduction for is in the shoulders and upper back because of breast weight.  Maybe a skilled gyn can help you with some homeopathic remedies rather than surgery.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS