Burning Pain After Breast Implant Replacement

I had my 20 yr silicone implants removed due to swelling of one breast. MRI showed no rupture. Surgery was suggested. I had a torn chest cavity that contained fluid. It supposedly was repaired, fluid removed, new silicone gel mentors replaced, same size. Im 8 weeks post op. Still having muscle pain, burning and major sensitivity. My ps is not comforting on answers. Is it normal to still have burning pain in my muscle under my implants? I was told I had a sprained boob.

Implant replacement pain

+1

It is not uncommon to have discomfort after implant exchange especially what I suspect was also a capsulectomy.  Speak with your doctor if you are concerned.

Pain after implant replacement

+1

Typically with 20 year old implants it is necessary to remove the scar wall around the implants as well as replacing them with new ones.  This can sometimes lead to discomfort which usually subsides in time.  Can't tell you exactly when though.  Even though your doctor is less satisfying about the explanation, please stick close to them as you heal.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Burning Pain After Breast Implant Replacement for a "a sprained boob"

+1

Regarding: "Burning Pain After Breast Implant Replacement
I had my 20 yr silicone implants removed due to swelling of one breast. MRI showed no rupture. Surgery was suggested. I had a torn chest cavity that contained fluid. It supposedly was repaired, fluid removed, new silicone gel mentors 8 weeks post op. Still havinreplaced, same size. Im g muscle pain, burning and major sensitivity. My ps is not comforting on answers. Is it normal to still have burning pain in my muscle under my implants? I was told I had a sprained boob
"

Your frustration is evident and understandable but sometimes there are no clear or easy answers. As I read your question, you had old silicone gel implants removed. In the process of removing them with their scar lining, capsule, some of the chest muscle was damaged and you ended up with fluid in your chest (?pneumohemothorax) which was immediately recognized and treated. Yet - you continue to have muscle pain 2 months after surgery.

Removing old silicone breast implant can be challenging to both patient and surgeon. To avoid exposing the implant and the toffee like contents, surgeons need to remove the lining. Some capsules are very thick and look and feel like oyster shells requiring careful separation from the underlying chest and overlying breast and muscle tissues. Nerve injuries can occur and will take many months to heal. I suspect this is what happened here. Be patient, in most cases this improves with time and keep seeing your surgeon so he can follow up on you.

Dr. Peter Aldea

+1

Burning Pain After Breast Implant Replacement: If simple removal and replacemetn was performed I do not have an explanation. Occasionally a lateral capsulorrhapy is performed which can minimzie lateral displacement of the breasts. I have performed this and have noted that it is associated with pain whcih does rsolve as the sutures are absorbed.

Breast pain after implant

+1

It's not uncommon to have some discomfort after this type of surgery, as the fluid can be irritating.  However, it should gradually resolve with time, and the time frame is truly different for each patient.  In very rare cases, patients will have persistent pain.  I suggest asking your surgeon about using an anti-inflammatory medication such as Motrin or Aleve for temporary relief.  He or she will likely want to monitor you as well as your discomfort resolves.  Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Burning pain post implant

+1

Burning pain can signal an infection or a neuritis. An infection should be quite obvious with swelling, redness, fever, tenderness. If it is simply burning, there are some sensory nerves that might have be injured or irritated. Typically the burning pain gradually lessens in intensity and frequency over time.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD