Is 20 Too Young for a Facelift?

I am 20 years old and I think I need a facelift to enhance my cheekbones. I don't want to have fillers or implants because it looks really fake and I already have fat cheeks. I don't want to have a buccal fat removal either. everytime i pull my cheek skin upwards, my cheekbones get more enhanced and it looks natural aswell. so my question is then, can you have a face-lift if you're 20 years old and have fat cheeks?

How "Old" is "Too Young" for a Facelift?

No matter what age, if a surgery has a high probability of making you look better than you would have without the surgery, for the rest of your life, -- and therefore make you feel better about yourself for the rest of your life -- then, in my opinion, it should be considered appropriate surgery. Beyond the surgeon offering surgery as an appropriate option, it should then be the adult's well-informed choice as to whether to have the surgery or not. However, some people have a self-perception disorder called "body dysmorphia syndrome" -- and unfortunately, some surgeons will do surgery on patients whether they believe the patient will actually look better or not. So what looks "better" can't be determined by either the patient or the patient's surgeon.

The surgeon has to be able to dissociate, as best he/she can, their clinical judgement as to what would be "best" for the patient, from his/her desire to do surgery and to profit from it. In other words, each surgeon has to wear a "clinician's hat" and a "surgeon's hat" -- and wear ONLY the clinician's hat when helping you decide on whether to have surgery or not. In this regard, the surgeon should try to get into the head of and therefore present the opinion of the hypothetical "average person". I personally imagine corralling 100 people off the street at random and imagine them seeing you as you look now and as you will look after the surgery. If I sincerely believe that over 90% of them would say that you look better with the "after" result, then I offer the procedure as an option -- again, no matter what age.

In considering the benefits of a facelift, it helps to place all your fingers in front of your ears and along your neck and push up and back. If it's obvious to you that you look better with this lifting maneuver, than a facelift just might be appropriate even at the age of 20. The main obstacle to you benefiting from a facelift in this situation is what your peers might think of you doing this relatively major procedure at such a young age -- something that may be a factor in your decision-making process or not.

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

2261 Deming Way
Middleton, WI 53562

Is 20 Too Young for a Facelift?

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing your pictures – you should consider posting images showing your areas of concern.  It is unusual to need or to be able to really benefit from a face lift at age 20

Sam Naficy, MD

1110 112th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Most likely you ARE too young for a facelift

Most likely you ARE too young for a facelift. Photos would be helpful in determining if you truly are a good candidate.  In my practice, the best candidate for a facelift is a physically healthy person who is realistic in their expectations regarding the appearance of loose facial and neck skin. You do not need to wait until the signs of aging are severe, an increasing number of men and women elect to have facelifts performed at a younger age at the first signs of a sagging lower face - creating a less dramatic and less noticeable result than if they had waited longer. In general, a facelift performed at a younger age creates a longer lasting and more natural appearing lift, enabling you to enjoy the results of your procedure for more years to come. Conversely, so long as you are healthy, a facelift can be performed at any age and can deliver remarkable results. Many healthy patients over 80 years of age enjoy the benefits of a facelift.

Best of Luck, Dr. Clevens

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

707 W Eau Gallie Blvd
Melbourne, FL 32935

20 years old to young for a Facelift

Twenty years old is to young for a Facelift! The complaints you are discussing would not be treated with a Facelift as this really treats the lower face and neck region. I suggest you see a good facial plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns and he/she should advise you well!

Michael Elam, MD

360 San Miguel Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Too young for facelift

I concur with my colleagues.  Twenty is simply too young for a facelift.   You should explore other options such as fillers, fat injections, or facial implants to achieve your goals.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

6400 Fannin
Houston, TX 77030

No facelifts at 20

It is inappropriate and immature to consider a facelift at 20.  What you need is a long acting filler like Perlane or Radiesse to fill the cheeks in a custom way if you refuse implants.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

1135 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

20 and facelift

Yes, 20 is too young for a facelift. If you want cheek bone enhancement then you are better off with fillers.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Facelift at 20?

Hi "12345678912 in thailand".  Yes, it's way too early to consider a facelift for a 20 year old.

It sounds like your goal is to improve the prominence of your cheek bones, and this can certainly be successfully done without resorting to a facelift.  Fillers, fat grafting, and cheek implants are all reasonable possibilities, and much less involved, less risky, and less expensive than a facelift.

Thomas Fiala, MD

220 East Central Parkway
Altamonte Springs, FL 32701

20 is too young for face-lift-fillers are your best option for cheek enhancement or lift

20 is too young for a facelift. It is very unlikely that the best facelift will enhance your cheeks.

If properly placed, a filler such as Radiesse or Pearlane (you need a higher molecular weight or "firmer" filler to enhance the cheek) will enhance the cheek bone area without making your cheeks fuller. If you have chubby cheeks a buccal fat pad resection will also help.

It sounds like you are getting good advice. Don't make the mistake of pursuing your facelift option with many different surgeons-eventually someone will operate which in my opinion would be a mistake at your age.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

195 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

Is 20 Too Young for a Facelift?

In all but extreme cases for genetic conditions, 20 is too young for a face lift. Without seeing pictures of your face it is difficult to give you advice. I would tell you that fillers, done by an experienced Plastic Surgeon, do not look fake and may accomplish exactly what you are looking for.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

4208 Richmond Ave
Houston, TX 77027