I Am 20 Years Old and Thinking About Upper Eyelid Surgery? (photo)

My eyes are hooded and I always have this tired unhappy look. My left eye is more hooded than the right eye. I am interested in the upper eyelid surgery so I can look more awake, happy and feminine. Am I too young? What are your suggestions?

Upper Eyelid Surgery In Early 20s

+1

As long as a person is at a level of maturity to understand the implications of surgery, regardless of age, it should not matter. Although something like this is usually done to reverse the aging process, it isn't always the case. From your pictures it is easy to see you do have asymmetry and that is something that we can easily fix with an upper blepharoplasty.

"Dr.D"

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Asymmetry can be improved

+1

Your photos clearly demonstrate asymmetry of your upper  eye lids. It would appear that you have more prominent fat pads and probably some excess skin on that side. It of course would be critical to be examined to verify this. Regardless of your young age,  asymmetry is a valid reason to obtain correction. Please make sure you will be treated by a board certified Plastic or Oculoplastic Surgeon. Please also note that exact symmetry can never be achieved even in the best of hands. The goal should be significant improvement which is should be doable.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Upper eyelid surgery at 20

+1

While there are significant asymmetries related to the eyelids, there is more hooded skin on the patient’s left upper lid.  A very simple conservative skin excision blepharoplasty on the left upper lid could be performed to match the right side.

Asymmetric eyes

+1

Your posted photos clearly show the asymmetry in your eyes but cannot differentiate between the contributions of the different factors contributing to the asymmetry. Those include asymmetry in the bone around the eyes, the level of the eyebrows and the amount of skin on the eyelid. Exact symmetry can never be achieved using any technique in the hands of any surgeon. Greater symmetry could be achieved by surgery on some or all of the contributing factors however this online format is inadequate as does not allow one to make honest assessments of your situation.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

20 Years Old and Upper Eyelid Surgery

+1

In nearly 30 years of surgical experience, I have performed upper eyelid surgery in many young people in their 20's, for the right reasons. You have a difference in the lids which can be improved. Provided you have the proper expectations there is no reason you should not have this corrected at age 20. Good luck.

Dr R Sadove

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid surgery

+1

As long as you are mature and mentally able to undergo surgery, you would likely benefit from an upper eyelid blepharoplasty. Your left eyelid (upper) is certainly worse than your right. That fact would need to be addressed during surgery. Upper eyelid blepharoplasty is  a relatively quick surgery to recover and patients do quite well.

Sandy Sule, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric lid folds at a young age

+1

The asymmetry and hooding you have is caused by the low lid fold on one side, and even at age 20 it is a reasonable fix with a anchor blepharoplasty to raise and set the fold on the hooded side. Look for improvement, not perfection.

Upper Eyelid Surgery for Bright-Eyed Appearance

+1

20 years old is young to elect for cosmetic surgery, so I recommend consulting with a qualified Oculofacial cosmetic surgeon who will understand what it is you want and to help determine the best approach for you. Recently, I performed upper lid eyelift surgery on a young woman who had a similar problem - although hers was not asymmetry to the eyes (as it seems to be slightly in your case judging from the photos). She had excess skin that caused slight hooding to her upper eyelids. People always thought she was tired and she couldn't correctly apply her eye makeup to the upper lids. By removing the excess skin in an artistic way, she healed with natural appearing results so that no one knows she's had any surgery, and is now happy with her bright-eyed appearance. Being young, you do not want to appear as if you've had surgery to correct a perceived problem. I've attached a video of this young woman's experience to help you better understand.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Too young for surgery?

+1

If you have noticeable asymmetry and it bothers you, by all means fix it. Looks like you mainly need a upper blepharoplasty on the left. The brow you can leave alone for now. Go see an ophthalmic plastic surgeon to make sure nothing else is going on.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper blepharoplasty recovery and pain is minimal.

+1

Upper blepharoplasty recovery and pain is minimal to even your lids. However, I would need to see you to determine if a mini brow lift would not be a better choice.