20 Year Old with 32 DDD Breasts, Am I a Candidate for a Breast Reduction?

I am twenty years old and I am only 4'11, I have huge breasts size 32 DDD, i know this is not proportionate to my height, and many people stare at me because of my breasts and or make comments so I am starting to question if I should possibly get a breast reduction ? Any personal experince with this would be helpful.

Breast reduction

+1

If you are unhappy with the size of your breasts, you certainly  may be a candidate for reduction. The best thing to do is go for a consultation.

Breast reduction

+1

The best way to find out if you are a candidate is to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Breast reduction surgery has a very high level of satisfaction in appropriate candidates.  For some patients, the surgery will improve neck and back pain, rashes under the breasts, headaches, and other symptoms related to large breasts.

David Bray, Jr, MD

Who is a candidate for breast reduction surgery

+1

Anyone with breasts that they feel are too large is a candidate for breast reduction surgery and would benefit from a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss their individual case. By making the breasts smaller, not only is their appearance changed but also any symptoms such as back and shoulder pain can be improved. This is where the medical necessity comes in. Most insurance policies will not cover cosmetic procedures which change appearance, but will cover procedures that are medically necessary. Your plastic surgeon will be able to contact your insurance carrier and help determine whether your procedure will be covered by your insurance or not.  If it is not a covered benefit with your insurance (although from your description it sounds like insurance should cover the procedure), the surgery can still be done but as a cosmetic procedure where you are responsible for payment. I'm pretty sure your surgeon will be able to tell you the fees for doing it this way. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction

+1

There is absolutely no way to know the answer to that question until you have a consultation and your doctor makes a request to your inswurance carrier. If you personally call the carrier they almost always say "Yes." but that means they cover that type of surgery. It does not mean they will cover your particular case.  For you particularly they will try and weasel out of the coverage any way they can. They do not profit from sending you money. they profit from you sending them money.

Over the last 15 years I have seen more and more women with painful symptoms of oversized breast be declined coverage of their surgery and we have adjusted our fees so that it costs little more than a breast enolargement when the patient has to pay out of their own pocket. You can probably find surgeons with similar fee structure near you. At your age I am sure it will seem like a lot of money but it will be a change you will be happy with the rest of your life. Most of my older reduction patients all say the same thing after surgery..."I wish I had done this sooner."

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

32DDD, should I have breast reduction?

+1

The biomechanical burden of disproportionately large, heavy breasts is accentuated in the woman of diminutive stature.  If bra straps dig painfully into your shoulders, you have upper and/or mid back pain that disables you, with poor posture, limitation of your activities, without respite or relief, then YES, reduction mammaplasty should be in your future.

Steve Laverson, MD

Breast reduction surgery

+1

The only way to know for sure if you are a candidate for breast reduction surgery is to see a plastic surgeon.  At that time your medial history will be reviewed and you will be examined.  If your breasts are excessively large and you are symptomatic then most insurance companies will cover the procedure.  

Breast reduction

+1

You are definitely a candidate for breast reduction.  In proportion to your height, you have gigantomastia.  Many insurance companies will cover the procedure.  I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation who can go through the pre-authorization process on your behalf.  For additional information, if you have health insurance, the insurance company should have its most recent requirements (basically hoops that both the doctor and the patient have to jump through!) posted on its website.  Breast reduction has the highest satisfaction rate of any procedure I perform and patients benefit tremendously both in terms of alleviating back pain and improving body image. 

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

It sounds like you have been dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress. You may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery.

As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.

Make sure you are  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Candidates for breast reduction

+1

If you are out of proportion in a DDD cup with neck strain and get unwanted attention you certainly are a candidate for breast reduction. A careful consultation will help you determine if the procedure is right for you, and a predetermination with your insurance will help sort out the how's of it.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Breast Reduction

+1

Breast reduction patients are some of the happiest people.  After surgery, they see improvement in breathing, improvement in neck and back pain, and improvement in their activities of daily living.  Additionally, patients feel more confident and comfortable in social situations.  Having surgery is a personal choice for you, so I would suggest going to a few consultations and then making your decisions.  It is important that you see a board certified plastic surgeon from the American Board of Plastic Surgeons.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD