I'm 20 Expecting my 2nd Baby How Soon After It's Born Can I Get a Tummy Tuck?

I'm around 5''6 160 lbs, after a 20 lb weight loss after having my first baby, now i'm pregnant with my 2nd baby and want a tummy tuck soon after, because my belly has always been a problem area, I've never been able to achieve tight abs, or a washboard stomach, my little kid belly always stuck with me, and I've tried every diet and exercise program, and no results, all weight loss was in my arms and legs. I don't want to have this belly after my 2nd child.

Post pregnancy tummy tuck

+1

It would be wise to wait around 6 months after delivery before considering a tummy tuck.  Once your weight has stabilized you should be good to go.

If you are considering more children, then I would wait before have a tummy tuck.  Another pregnancy would ruin the results of the tummy tuck.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck Surgery

+1

There is no magic number of months to wait.  You will know physically (when you are at your baseline weight) and emotionally when you are ready to proceed with this major operation.  This planning would involve making sure you have enough help for your newborn and yourself during the recovery period (approx. 3-4 weeks).  

I do however have another  word of advice for you. Patients who are about to undergo tummy tuck surgery spend a lot of time thinking about the physical preparation for the procedure (for example weight loss issues) but do not spend a lot of time thinking about the emotional aspects.
It is not uncommon for patients who undergo the procedure to experience severe “mood swings”. These emotions may range from depression ( “why did I do this to myself”) to elation  (which may lead to over activity). I think it is helpful to be aware that these emotional swings do occur postoperatively. 
Suggestions I have for patients undergoing this procedure: 1. Make sure you have a strong support system in place who have time/patience to take care of you. 2. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. 3. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies. 4. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work too early and let others take care of you (for a change). 5. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience. 6. Keep in mind the end result!

+1

In order to obtain the best results with a tummy tuck it is advisable to wait until your skin and abdominal muscles have had a chance to recover from your pregnancy.  By waiting and allowing your body to recover from the pregnancy  you will obtain the best possible result.   I have found that in my patients this typically takes six months or so.

Donald M. Brown, MD

+1

If you are not planning MORE pregnancies than I would recommend waiting 6 months before having a TT with MR. 

Tummy Tuck Timing

+1

The first question to answer regarding to the timing of a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) is whether or not the woman in question has completed her family.  It is best to wait until after having all the children one wants before undergoing this procedure.  Of course there are special, unique situations which may arise.  As far as the amount of time after a pregnancy, waiting approximately six months is advisable to allow for your abdominal tissues (skin / muscle) to return to their pre-pregnancy state as well as enough time to lose weight.  For optimal results, patients should be as close to their ideal body weight as possible prior to surgery.  Although most women are quite excited at the prospect of 'getting their body back', it is best to wait at least 3 months to seek out a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a consultation after your pregnancy.

Good Luck

Sean A. Simon, MD

How Long To Wait For Tummy Tuck After Pregnancy

+1

It is best to wait until you are down to your optiimal weight and your uterus is back to its normal size.  In general, this would be between 6 and 12 months.  Doing it any sooner may limit the results.

Gary D. Breslow, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck After Pregnancy

+1

The key to a successful tummy tuck is waiting until you have had time to recover fully from your pregnancy and reached your ideal weight.  This may not be an "ideal" shape, but the weight is important. The more weight you lose the better your ultimate result and it is better to lose the weight fully before the operation. This normally is somewhere between 4-6 months from delivery depending upon your body and ability to return to your pre-baby weight.

Discuss this with a board certified surgeon and be patient as surgery is not something you want to rush into.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

20 year old interested in tummy tuck

+1

First you have to decide if you want to have any more children. You are young and there's a good chance that you might become pregnant again. You have to be absolutely sure about not having any more children before embarking on an abdominoplasty. Further pregnancy will undo your results. After your last pregnancy, I would suggest you wait about 6 months prior to seeking a consultation for surgery. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Q: I'm 20 and expecting my 2nd Baby. How Soon After It's Born Can I Get a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Dear NYLady20,

Congratulations on the addition to your family.

A tummy tuck can help remove your excess skin and fat as well as tighten your abdominal muscles that have been stretched from pregnancy. For best results, I would advise waiting *at least* three to six months after giving birth to have your tummy tuck. It is advisable to give your body some time to heal and to lose your baby weight.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Tummy tuck after pregnancy

+1

After having your baby, you should wait at least six months to one year. If your are breast feeding, you should wait until your baby is weaned.  This allows your abdomen time to naturally get smaller and for you lose as much of the extra weight gained in pregnancy as possible.   This will help ensure that you get the best results from your surgery.  

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon