Can You Get Better Than 20/20 Vision Using LASIK?

Many patients achieve better than 20/20 vision after LASIK

+2

20/40 vision is what is legal to drive in most states without glasses. It means that what the average person can see at 40 feet, the person with 20/40 vision needs to be at 20 feet in order to be able to see that same object. 20/20 is average good vision. Many of our patients achieve 20/15 or better using Custom WaveFront laser treatment. This type of treatment is, I believe, is the best. Custom WaveFront treatment uses technology originally designed to re-tune the Hubble Telescope. It is 25 times more precise than the average exam. FDA studies showed that with Custom WaveFront treatment everyone achieved at least 20/40 vision. 85% of patients noticed less glare after surgery and it was possible to achieve better vision than with your best pair of glasses or contact lenses. Yes, it is possible to achieve better than 20/20 vision and your best chance of that is with Custom WaveFront laser technology.

Chicago Ophthalmologist

Some patients achieve better than 20/20 vision with iLASIK

+1

Yes – some patients, especially younger patients, achieve better than 20/20 vision.  Many of our patients have achieved better than 20/20 vision with the most advanced procedure, iLASIK.

New York Ophthalmologist

Can a Patient Achieve Better Than 20/20 Vision Following LASIK

+1

The short answer to this question is yes, provided that the patients retina is capable of seeing better than 20/20 prior to the surgery. I like to look at the main goal of Laser Vision Correction(Lasik or PRK) surgery as getting as many of the light rays that enter the eye to focus on the retina as possible. Of ocurse, prior to surgery, these same light rays are coming into focus all over the place, thus the blurred vision. Modern day lasers are terrific at not only correcting nearsightedness, astigmatism and farsightness, but also preexisting glare, so we are now able to get many more rays of light into focus on the retina than we could 15 years ago(when I had my laser surgery....I'm till very happy, though). The end result, is great vision and less glare. If a patient has a retina that is young and efficient enough to bring all of those light rays together and have the brain process them into vision that beats 20/20(that would be 20/15 or 20/10), then they can expect to get that vision afterwards. Yes, the lasers are that good!!

Web reference: http://www.kameen.com

Baltimore Ophthalmologist

Yes. Many patients can see better than 20/20 after LASIK.

+1

Visual outcomes vary but the vast majority of patients see 20/20 or better after LASIK- Without glasses. Many patients see 20/15. Not everyone is able to see 20/15 or even 20/20 with glasses before LASIK so those patients may not see as well as most others after Lasik. Nearly all patients are free of glasses for distance.

Vancouver Ophthalmologist

Better than 20/20 vision after Lasik

+1

I have had many patients see 20/15 or better following Lasik or Lasek. For most patients, the best vision that can be achieved with contact lenses or glasses before surgery is a good indicator of what is possible following laser vision correction.

White Plains Ophthalmologist