2 Weeks Post Op. What is Going on with my Uneven Crease Incision Site? (photo)

Hi, I had 2 weeks post op appointment, My surgeons thinks i may have hematoma? My left breast from the beginning has always been bigger and harder then right breast but I was not concern since I heard that can be normal. But I want to know if others think it can be hematoma since i'm bruising and swelling more on left incision? Although I don't have pain there. What are your opinions on this?

Hematoma in breast

+1

It’s very difficult to make this determination without examining you; however, your surgeon will be very competent in determining whether or not you have a hematoma.  It’s very normal to heal at different levels and rates from side to side, as well as different bruising and swelling levels.  I tell all of my patients that they need to be patient for a few weeks while everything evens out. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Larger breast on one side with bruising?

+1

It certainly appears like you have a hematoma.  I would have this openned and drained sooner rather than later to help prevent future problems.

Best Wishes!

Pablo A. Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Proabaly a hematoma

+1

As stated by others, it is difficult to tell without examining you.  But your story and photo suggest that you have a hematoma.  This mshould be drained in the operating room in order to decrease the risk of problems, both short term and long term.  Keep in close contact with your surgeon.

Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma in breast?

+1

It is difficult to tell exactly from the photos, but if you have a hematoma it needs to be drained.  If the breast is much larger than the other and is painful, it is most likely a hematoma.

Hematoma after augmentation

+1

While its not possible to diagnose the problem from the photo, it certainly looks like a hematoma is a strong possibility. If you were my patient and I was concerned that a hematoma might be present, I would reopen the incision and explore the pocket. I would rather be wrong about it than leave a hematoma there to "resolve" on its own. You will be more likely to have a contracture down the road.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Asymmetry

+1

It is hard to tell if you have a hematoma but if you do, you may need to have it drained.  Not only could you have wound problems and an increased risk of infection, but also hematoma may increase the risk of capsular contracture down the road - this is when "bad" scar tissue forms around the implant and makes it look "stuck on" or feel hard.  Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.roxyplasticsurgery.com

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and Bruising at 2 Weeks and Hematoma Concerns after Breast Augmentation

+1

Any concerns for a hematoma (bruising or swelling with one breast larger than the other) always needs to be evaluated in person by your plastic surgeon.

Post Operative Hematoma

+1

This is a difficult diagnosis to make from just a photo, however the swelling and bruising at the inframammary fold of the right breast leads me to believe that it is very likely that you have a post operative hematoma. Typically we will drain hematomas to try to avoid wound disruptions, wound infections, and potentially the development of capsular contractures.

Make sure to continue to follow up with your surgeon. Good luck.

What is Going on with my Uneven Crease Incision Site

+1

Kimberly--

If your surgeon is not sure about whether there is a hematoma based on an exam, it will be hard to make that diagnosis based on a photo only! I can say that a hematoma is one possible explanation of the fullness and blue discoloration of the lower pole on that right side (or is this photo of the mirror?). 

Large hematomas are usually drained surgically, small ones sometimes left to absorb on their own. What we don't want is to have spontaneous drainage opening up the incision and exposing the implant to bacteria.

Follow closely with your surgeon. All the best. 

Post - Op Hematoma

+1

It certainly seems possible that you have blood around the implant.  A very small amount is not abnormal but when it changes the shape of the breast more than an implant would it needs to be drained.  The side effects of not draining are possible capsular contracture, infection or exposure of the implant at the incision site.  This is a decision that would be made by your surgeon.