Round-2 Boob Job Cost

It's been a few years since I had my initial breast augmentation and I've always wished I'd gone a little bigger (ie instead of 400cc's left and 350cc's right, maybe 500cc's left and 450cc's right). Does any one know if the cost of the procedure will stay the same, increase, or decrease for a second procedure? I'm hoping it goes down a little because it seems like it would be at least a little less work for the surgeon! :)

Implant costs second time around

+2

In general the cost of a second augmentation mammaplasty should be less than the first one, particularly if you are going back to the same surgeon.  The recovery should be a lot easier.  If you want to be bigger, you generally need to go up at least 200cc's in the size of the implant. You won't notice much of a change if you just go up 100cc's.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Cost of implant exchange

+1

When looking at different breast augmentation prices there are many factors as to why you see different prices. Most doctors that charge more would like you to think it is because they are better trained or give you a better result. This is not the case. typically there are many factors that contribute to what a doctors charges

1)does the doctor have their own surgery center pr have to use a hospital. If they have to use the hospital this can add several thousand dollars to the cost which is passed on to the patient. The doctors that have to use a hospital will try to tell you its safer but the reality is this has never been shown scientifically and all Board certified plastic surgeons are required to operate in certified surgery centers. So those with their own centers have facilities with the same set of standards as the hospital and at times are certified by the same agency. So most Surgeons with their own surgery center pass the discount on to their patient.

2)Time in the Operating room. The less experienced, indecisive a surgeon or the fewer cases a plastic surgeon does per year the longer they will take in the operating room to perform the procedure. Thus the more they are charged by the hospital or anesthesia staff. The more specialized the plastic surgeon is with breast augmentation the more efficient he is with the procedure so the less time it take and the less it will cost. Not to mention the more they do the less they pay for the same implants. Again most surgeons should pass this savings on to the patient.

3)Experience.. the more experienced sometimes the more the Doctor feels they can demand for their services. What you should look for, is to make sure they are a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. They should also be a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgery as well as a member of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (which is the most prestigious cosmetic society a plastic surgeon who performs cosmetic breast augmentation can belong to).

4) Lastly sometimes geography comes into play when in certain regions of the country the cost for staffing and facility are much higher than in others.

I perform over 1000 breast augmentations per year. And I am a member of the above societies as well as a member of the lead surgeons. We have our own surgery center and charge what we feel to be an honest cost of only 3000$ for saline and 4000$ for silicone breast augmentation and this includes all cost..

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

2nd Aug Fees

+1

Fee Structures will vary from practice to practice.  If you have already had surgery and the implants are in good shape, then the time needed to remove is less.  This should create a savings in anesthesia and facility fees.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast implants: cost of going larger

+1

For our existing patients, I can say that we generally do not charge the price of the initial procedure unless significantly more work is required. Go back you your original surgeon, if they remain in practice, and discuss your desires. Another surgeon may not be as willing to take on a new patient, with an unknown history, at a reduced cost.

Price of secondary breast surgery

+1

The only way to get pricing today is to ask various offices in your area.  If you go to your previous doctor and there is no pocket work to do, the cost might be a little less than a new augmentation but if you go to any other doctor, expect to pay full price for a new aug according to today's prices.  If your pockets have problems, you might even have to pay more.  Up sizing is not cheap so it is best to get it right in the first place if possible.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Redo breast augmentation

+1

Having a breast augmentation revision if you are unhappy sounds reasonable. As for the cost, you have to review this with your surgeon.  Usually a discount fee applies in my office, however other doctors may  offer different things.

It will depend on many factors

+1

As stated before, the best advise is to ask the original Surgeon. Most of the time you will get a professional discount due to loyalty. If you go to a second surgeon it will depend on the amount of work you need to obtain a adequate result. If a second surgeon decides to take you as a patient, he has to be sure you get the best possible result and he will try to fix some of the no so apparent small problems you may have, as a consequence of this, the price for a revision usually is higher than the original augmentation, however the only way to find out the exact cost is with a consultation. Be sure you go to an American Board of Plastic surgery certified doctor. Good luck

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Cost of Revision Surgery Should be Discussed at Initial Evaluation

+1

The costs of any revisional surgery following cosmetic surgery should ideally be discussed at the time of the initial evaluation as this varies widely among different practioners.  Some surgeons significantly discount revisions while others may charge their full fees.

John Whitt, MD

Cost of a redo breast augmentation

+1
The cost of a redo breast augmentation varies. 
Although you already have breast implants, exchanging them for new ones is not as easy as exchanging batteries.  It is still a full surgical procedure and as such full surgical fee often applies.  When you go back to your original surgeon he/she may give you a break depending on how much needs to be done.  It is very unlikely that a new surgeon would offer a lower rate just because you already have implants.  In many cases a redo is more complicated because adjustments are needed and that is sometimes difficult to perform exactly on breasts that have been previously operated on.
Sincerely,
Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast augmentation the second time around

+1

Breast implants have a usable life span of ten to fifteen years and all who wear them should be aware that replacement of worn implants is in their future. It is possible to go up or down in size when implants are replaced. Though generally it is 'easier' to replace implants this is not always the case, especially with gel implants that have developed a leak and tight capsule. From a cost standpoint if your surgeon has placed your implants just a few years before, there may be cost savings if you choose a larger implant. It never hurts to ask.

peterejohnsonmd