2-26-13 I Had a Reduction from a DD to a B, They Removed 480 Grams from Each Side? (photo)

I have lost 100lbs in the past year and my breast were very thin and saggy, after my reduction they ended up very flat and pancake like, my doctor said this is normal and they will "fill in" he said I was going to be a B cup. I have not been able to find any info that this had happen to anyone else, is this normal am will they really fill into a B cup or did he remove to much and is trying to cover it up now? This picture is 4 week out. I am not even a cup size they are more square and flat

Breast Reduction & Weight Loss

+1
Reductions after weight loss are risky in some patients.  They can result in over-reduction.  Many patients who want their procedure covered by insurance make this choice forcing more tissue removal that is needed to meet some arbitrary insurance threshold.  At this point the only solution is to live with it or to restore volume is breast augmentation.  Discuss this matter further with your surgeon.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Concerns after reduction

+1

Was your procedure a cosmetic one or insurance covered procedure?  If the former, you should have been communicating your expectations to your doctor and how to fill in your upper atrophic poles that develop following weight loss.  If your procedure was insurance covered, minimum weights have to be removed and if your weight was a struggle to meet, you must accept the results from that resection.  The only warranty I provide my patients is that they will be smaller.  After that, we try to give them the cup size they desire but they also choose whether I am aggressive or conservative in my resection.  Give yourself time to heal and you should be communicating your concerns to your surgeon.  As for 'filling in', I can't say I would expect that but your will certainly have some settling where the bottom gets fuller and the top flatter.

Curtis Wong, MD

Not Happy after Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

Congratulations on your significant weight loss and having undergone the breast reduction procedure.

At this point, you are still quite early out of the procedure;  although online consultants will not be able to provide you with  meaningful "reassurance” that you will ultimately be pleased or achieve a specific upsize, I can tell you that your breasts will likely change in shape over the course of the next several months.

In the meantime, I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon. Ultimately, if you remain displeased with size/fullness/shape of your breast, revisionary breast surgery may be helpful.  Don't be surprised, if breast augmentation surgery is discussed as an option.