2 1/2 Months Post OP: Still Some Very Prevalent Swelling? (photo)

Like the title says, I still have some pretty.. annoying/noticeable swelling. I know the general rule to follow is 'PATIENCE', and I can accept that. I just wanna know if it WILL get better. Basically, when I press on my nose, it looks great. But 90% of the time, it appears bump-ish. It's like I have to give myself a mini-rhinoplasty every day by pressing. :\ The only firm/bone-y part is my upper bridge. everything else is spongy/feels strange I'll include some before/after pressing pics.

Rhinoplasty Results at 3 Months

+1

The result looks very good, and the swelling should improve for the next 3 to 9 months.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Post Rhinoplasty Swelling

+1

Your nose looks great at this point.  It may take over 2 years for all swelling to resolve.  The sponginess is swelling.  Hang in there.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

2.5 months is still soon after your procedure, and you are experiencing swelling. In general, it can take 18-24 months for the final result of rhinoplasty to be evident. 70% of the swelling resolves after the first 3 months, and the remainder goes down over time. Pressing on your nose continuously can increase your swelling and delay healing time, and I would recommend avoiding it if possible. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty Swelling

+1

Great photos demonstrating your issue.  The fact that you can press down the dorsum ("bridge") of your nose to make it less prominant indicates that what you are seeing and feeling is, indeed, simply swelling.  All swelling eventually resolves, but in noses it can take up to a year.  So as you suggested, patience is key.  Pressing on it all the time, however, can actually add to the swelling and take it longer to resolve as you incur mild soft tissue trauma to the area each time you do it.  This causes more inflammation in the area and thus more swelling.  I think you,re on your way to a very good result if you can just wait it out.  You have a whole lifetime ahead of you with your new nose so a few months of waiting is a drop in the bucket.

Gregory Pastrick, MD
Kingsport Plastic Surgeon