Getting Radiesse for Cheek Lift - How Much is Safe to Inject at One Time?

I have always had chubby cheeks and they have fallen to my lower face. I'm 19 years old and I have very little fat on my upper cheeks now and my plastic surgeon recommended Radiesse as a non-surgical way of helping this problem. We are planning to do 1 and a half to two syringes in each cheek. Is this too much? Could this be overfilling my face and cause bad side effects? Also he said he isn't doing the under eyes but will be going through the lower part of the under eye to blend it out. Is this okay to do?

Radiesse volume varies from patient to patient

+3

The volume of Radiesse one might need varies depending on your anatomy, presence of fat, age, and your desired result. Some people want to be very full, others just want to balance the proportions out.

1 syringe of Radiesse is 1.5mL, so maybe your doctor wants to do 1 syringe per side? At your age, I might suggest starting with 1/2 syringe per side (or none at all), but without having the benefit of seeing you, it's impossible to say for sure. You could always start with less and add more later. Once Radiesse is injected, it cannot be removed, so proceed with caution.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Getting Radiesse for Cheek Lift - How Much is Safe to Inject at One Time

+1

There are no specific guidelines for the amount of Radiesse to be injected.  The amount will depend on how much volume needs to be replaced.  At least 1 syringe should be injected on each side.  Some patients want to split a syringe per side for economic  reasons but many surgeons will not place only 1 syringe because the correction would be inadequate.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse for cheek enhancement

+1
There is no set amount which is right or wrong, safe or unsafe. I personally advise patients to start slowly, to try one or two syringes depending on the areas which trouble them and then reassess. For most, two is adequate. However, your age and the report of falling cheeks at such an early age require more investigation. Have you lost a considerable amount of weight? If not, have you undergone plastic surgical or dermatological consultation to evaluate the basis for the alteration. In facial appearance? Knowing the cause is as important as delineating a means to address the problem.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Radiesse for cheek enhancement

+1

Radiesse is a superb product to enhace the upper cheek.  Usually one 1.5cc syringe is sufficient if that is all you wish.  It is important not to do too much as you cannot take it out and it lasts around a year.  Also gentle massage by the physician is important to mold and smooth the material right after injection.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Volume of Radiesse varies for cheek filling from patient to patient

+1

The amount of Radiesse needed for your cheek depends on the three dimensional structure of your face, how much fat is atrophic and the thickness of your skin. Some people need a few syringes in each cheek, and others may only need part of a syringe. Syringes though, have different volumes. Some Radiesse are 0.8cc and others are 1.5ccs. It is better to do less and add later, than to do too much at one sitting as Radiesse is not easily removed.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Radiesse can be very useful for cheek augmentation

+1

It is hard to answer your question without seeing photos or having met you in the office. If you're concerned please seek a second opinion from a Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon with alot of injectable experience. Radiesse gives great results in these areas but you and your injector should be comfortable with the plan.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse

+1

You need a full evaluation and may be computer immaging to see what the change will do to the face.

CONSULT A BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON (AMERICAN BOARD OF OLASTIC SURGERY)  for full evaluation then make a decision.

You need an expert and multiple consultations before you decide.

Radiesse in a 19 year old patient--4 syringes is too much!

+1

I would suggest getting another opinion, even if you seem to like or agree with your plastic surgeon's recommendation. You seem to want cheekbone fullness to offset what sounds like round facial appearance or fuller lower face. This may be a reasonable alternative to facial liposuction, buccal fat pad resection, or cheek implants (all of which are almost always not recommended in a 19 year-old). However, this amount of Radiesse seems a bit much for a healthy young woman. If you feel compelled to proceed, start with one syringe per side. You can always add more later, if needed or desired. But once the money is pent and the Radiesse is injected, you can't get your money back nor can you get the Radiesse out easily! Be conservative. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse helps fallen cheeks

+1

Radiesse to the cheeks really does help to remove that "fallen" look.  It's pretty amazing.

At your age I would typically use less, but Radiesse has been a safe product in my experience.

If you are wary that you might be getting too much Radiesse, ask your doctor to inject half now and half later.  This puts you back in control.  Only buy round 2 if your cheeks need it.

Daniel J. Ladd Jr., DO
Austin Dermatologist

Radiesse for cheeks

+1

Sometimes it is hard for us to figure out what is going on without actually examining the patient. 2 syringes per cheek might be too much or it might not be enough. I have worked with and injected Radiesse in very young patients. Usually it is not due to shifting of the facial fat or loss of fat volume. Rather it is due to the underdevelopment or really small size of cheek bones that was masked in childhood, but now becomes more obvious. I would certainly address this with your surgeon. If the small size of cheek bones is indeed what you are treating, you might benefit in the future from placement of cheek implants. If this is what you are planning to do, it might be better for you to try Juvederm or Restylane in your cheeks to see whether you like it, and then to plan for surgery. Otherwise, Radiesse is certainly a good option, especially if you don't want to have surgery in the near future.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD