I Am 19 Years Old and Have Brown Spots on my Face Since I Was 10 Under my Chin, Options?

hii...i am 19 years old and have brown spots on my face since i was 10....i thought may be they will go away with time but they didnt...please help what can i exactly do to get rid of them...is a lazer surgery necessary?

Brown spots

+2

It is impossible to say what the appropriate treatment should be without photos.  Even then, a consultation face to face would be better.  Laser treatment sounds like it may be more than you need at this age.

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fraxel laser treatment for brown spots

+1

Brown spots are caused by melanin. Most likely, in your case, the brown spots  are the result of excessive sun exposure. Sun exposure does cause damage to structures in the skin. In turn, your skin responds by producing melanin.

Some individuals are more predisposed than others to developing brown spots. Lasers provide effective solutions for the treatment of pigmentation. The wavelengths are able to reach several millimeters below the surface allowing the energy to break up the pigment, which is then removed by your body's blood and lymphatic system. Fraxel lasers are quite proficient in treating brown spots.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser treatment of facial dark spots

+1

you would need to be examined to determine what kind of brown spots you have.  Some moles can be flat and dark, other "birthmarks" start in adolescence.  Cafe au lait spots, Becker's nevi, lentiginous nevi, etc. are some benign dermatologicic conditions that can present as flat dark spots and some raised.  If benign in appearance, some doctors might suggest laser therapy with neodynium yag or alexandrite or ruby lasers.

Ronald Shelton, MD

19 years old and laser resurfacing

+1

laser resurfacing would be an extreme approach for your sun spots. I would suggest intense pulse light, topical therapy or v beam and other less invasive lasers first before doing co2 laser resurfacing. Topical treatments include retin A, hydroquinone, and hydrocortisone combination.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon