Ask a doctor

I'm a 19 year old female, and want to get a procedure done to make my eyes smaller. (Photo)

I want my eyes to be smaller and more elongated. The thing is, I do not want to go under the knife. If there an alternate? Like dermal fillers?

Doctor Answers 4

Elongate eyes without surgery

  • It is excellent that you do not want surgery,
  • What you want is expert make-up advice. 
  • Have no injection or other treatment around your eyes until you are at least 23.
  • There are risks and your facial anatomy will change.
  • Kim Kardashian and all other stars and models are extensively photoshopped -
  • She does not look in real life the way the photo looks.
  • For fun, photoshop your own face to understand the 'lies' of modern celebrity photos.

Lateral canthopexy/canthoplasty

Looking at your photo, you do not need your eyes to be any smaller. Its uncertain from the photo posted whether you are smiling or not, but if you are not smiling, you're eyes are slightly droopy to begin with.
The more elongated, upturned corners of the eyes can be achieved by a lateral canthopexy/canthoplasty.
However, the results are extremely unpredictable and can look quite unnatural, in most cases.
I would strongly suggest you NOT to consider that surgery.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

A lot of "things" are done out there but that does not mean they accomplish what one wishes!

I wish the world was organized they way we want it do be.  Kim Kardashian is (please don't hate me for saying this) no role model for which surgery, or procedure to have.  You would look amazing too if you had a personal stylist with you at essentially every moment and a designer to photoshop and approve media images for publication.  This distortion of reality is the cause of a lot of bad surgery and more than a few eating disorders.  

In the photo you have attached, your eyes could not look smaller!  Yet you say you want your eyes to be smaller and more elongated.  I would not take this at face value.  A consultation is essential to really understand what you are looking for.  A bit of advice: be very careful what you ask a surgeon, you might end up with it.  Asking for a more elongated eye generally means lateral canthopexy or canthoplasty.  These procedures are very unlikely to accomplish the goal of making the eyes look wider.  Yes it can be done but that type of result is exceptional.  Virtually any model whose eyes you show me that you like has never had eyelid surgery or services either.  Kim is now an old lady compared to the average model who is probably 17 or 18 years of age, perhaps much younger.

To me your eyes look very heavy suggesting that you might have upper eyelid ptosis. 

My advice is to be very careful with what you look for.  Good luck out there.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Los Angeles Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

Dermal fillers to elongate eyes?

I do not know of a technique involving the use of fillers to achieve more elongated, smaller appearing eyes.  Surgically elongating the eyes is also very popular amongst Asian patients, but I would recommend seeking a plastic surgeon who routinely performs this type of surgery.  I personally do not perform this procedure.  Good luck.  Be safe.

John Nguyen, MD, FACS
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.