19 and Wanting Liposuction

I am a female and 19 years old. I am 5'8 and weight 230 pounds. I am also having trouble loosing weight on my own. I have probably tried everything. I am considering getting liposuction,and was wondering if I was too young and if I would have complications later on with getting liposuction? Also what I would need to do in order to get liposuction?

Liposuction is not a weight loss method

+3

Hi, You would be best served by not doing liposuction.

Liposuction is for someone that has close to ideal body weight but has stubborn areas of excess fat.

It may be difficult but you should consider changing  your diet, exercising regularly and seeing a consultant to help you change your daily habits.

Good luck

Liposuction for body contouring

+2

Liposuction is best used to improve specific areas of the fat that are resistant to diet and exercise-- it is not intended for weight loss and in most cases of liposuction on folks who are overweight,  the results will not be as dramatic as we would like.  My advice to any patient seeking liposuction is to first discuss your options with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, and after he examines you, he will give you his opinion, but in general patients do the best and have the best results when they are close to the goal weight first.

Web reference: http://www.drsalemy.com

Liposuction is for contouring, not weight loss

+1

Liposuction of any sort is definitely not a weight loss procedure. Liposuction is a body contouring tool, not a weight loss tool. As such, it rarely results in any significant weight loss although it does significantly change the contours of one's body and, in many cases, how one's clothes fit. For instance, liposuction in a male's waistline area may result in a 1-3 inch decrease in waist/belt size. Liposuction results are best on someone who has achieved their goal weight but has some "trouble spots" that don't seem to go away with proper diet and exercise. It is certainly not a tool suited for someone that wants to "drop that last 20."

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is not the answer

+1

Unfortunately, liposuction is not a weight reduction technique.  It is properly used for shaping.  Based on your height and weight, assuming you have tried and failed at non-surgical weight loss, you would best be served by seeing a bariatric surgeon.  A surgical weight loss procedure, such as a lap-band, would probably give you the best chance at long term weight loss.

Large volume liposuction

+1

As the other expert posters have stated you need initial correction of your lifestyle by diet and exercise. A few of us, boarded Plastic Surgeons, do LARGE VOLUME LIPOSUCTION. LVL is a risky in hospital operation that removes 10+ liters of fat in one operation. It is very expensive and a long recovery of 6 weeks at least. In Florida in office liposuction can only remove 4 liters of fat, by Board of Medicine Office Surgery Guidelines, so some do 2 or even 3 separate operations over the course of a year. Best to seek in person opinions. From MIAMI Dr. B

Liposuction is NOT a Treatment for Obesity

+1

Like many people you have the wrong idea of what liposuction is intended to do and does best. Liposuction is NOT a cure or treatment for obesity. It is meant to remove specific areas of fat excess not exceeding more than 10 pounds or so per outpatient procedure.

In your case your BMI is 34 (anything over 30 is OBESE, anything over 40 MORBIDLY obese (qualifying for stomach stapling operation)). Your ideal body weight is 146 pounds.

Your best course is to watch what you eat, cutting all empty calories, and increase the amount of calories burned. (No soft drinks and walk and take stairs whenever possible). It is extremely important for you to "get it right" now because losing weight gets harder as you get older.

Good Luck.

Dr. Aldea

Overweight and 19, liposuction is not yet for you

+1

You first need help, whether with a nutritionist, trainer or both, to reduce your net caloric gain per day, that is, the amount of new calories that are available by your body to be stored for future use, after the amount expended with activities is subtracted from that which is consumed. If you reduce the intake and increase the use of these calories by your body (exercise) there should be a reduction in storage as there will be less excess. Some people have endocrine disorders such as low thyroid hormones and this may need to be checked in you.  This is important prior to any consideration of liposuction, as such surgery should be done on healthy patients who have a well-defined storage depot of fat that isn't easily removed with diet and exericse. If you had liposuction now, without correcting the underlying cause of your overweight condition, you would gain the weight back after the surgery and have incurred risk and expense for minimal gain.

Liposuction is not a good optoin

+1

Liposuction is not indicated in your case. You need to loose weight by another means rather than Liposuction. the issue is not your age but the long term outcome and also safety.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is not a weight loss method

+1

Liposuction is not intended for weight loss. Rather, it is for body reshaping.  Overweight people have a significantly higher rate of complications after any invasive procedure. And despite what your local spa is telling you, Liposuction is an invasive surgical procedure!  While you may be frustrated by you inability to lose weight, there are always other options. Diet and exercise is always best and oftentimes success requires that you include a trainer and a nutritionist. If this still is not working, then perhaps you would benefite from seeing a bariatric surgeon.  Newer. less invasive ways of weight loss such as gastric banding has been a huge success in people who meet criteria. Liposuction will only make a minimal improvement in your overall weight and will do nothing to help the underlying cause of your obesity.  You are young. Resist the urge for a "quick fix".