Im 19 and Have Small and Large Veins Around my Eyes, What Treatment Would Work for Me?

After having my son, I noticed veins appearing around my eyes but thought it was down to lack of sleep. 2 years on, I now have small and large veins around my eyes which Ive only seen on people over 40! I dont smoke, rearly drink acohol and have a pretty good diet and get around 8 hours sleep a night. I dont know how to get rid of them and there getting worse.

Vein Treatment

+1

We do not like to treat eye veins as if a clot forms, and moves, where does it go?  See an Opthamologist for your assessment.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Vessels around the eyes

+1

Treating small vessels and even slightly larger purple vessels around the eyes can be done quite easily and effectively with laser.  We use our Nd:YAG laser most commonly but a number of other wavelengths can be helpful as well.  The most important recommendation is to choose someone that has a lot of experience treating these vessels.

Grant Stevens, MD

Veins around the eyes

+1

Veins around the eyes, SHOULD NEVER HAVE SCLEROTHERAPY,

Laser vein treatment will help, may require more than one session

Microphlebectomy or Nd:Yag for small veins around the eyes

+1

Treatment for these small veins really depends on the size of the blood vessels.  If they are small veins, lasers work very well.  I generally treat these veins with either Pulsed Dye Laser or KTP (for smaller vessels), or Nd:Yag for larger vessels. Your doctor needs to be very careful around the eye, as lasers have been known to cause eye damage. I always make sure I place an eye shield or special contact lens inside the eye before treating. Several treatments are usually required.

Better yet, for an isolated blood vessel around the eyes, my favorite treatment is microphlebectomy. A small (1-2mm) incision can be made and hidden along your smile lines after the area is numbed. Using a special hook, the vein is then removed safely and permanently.

Either way, you will have some temporary bruising to the area that last about one week. 

I agree with the other doctos about sclerotherapy as wel.  While one can theorectically treat veins around the eyes with Sclerotherapy, I would not recommend it. The risk for serious complications including blindness and skin necrosis far outweighs the benefits, especially when there are much better alternatives.

Margaret Mann, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Veins around the eyes

+1

Laser vein removal around the eyes can be very effective. I don't recommend sclerotherapy around the eyes.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Correcting Large Veins around the Eyes

+1
The veins, the darker bluish colored blood vessels in our bodies carry blood back to the heart. In the face venous blood goes either to the neck veins (jugular) or in the middle facial area blood first runs to veins under the brain. As a result, methods which involve injecting causticor irritating chemicals, as is done with leg veins, cannot be used with facial veins. The risk of such chemicals potentially tracking to the veins under the brain is too great. As a result the only effective way to get rid of such veins around the eye is by making small cuts over them and tying them off. Dr. Aldea