Age 19, 5 Foot 7, 170lb and 36 H Breasts. Would I Be a Good Candidate for Breast Reduction Surgery?

I have slight back pain, indent marks from bras, and my large boobs make it very difficult to exercise. Not to mention it is nearly impossible to find bras. Insight would be much appreciated!

Good candidate for Breast Reduction

+2

Based upon your height, weight, H cup bra and symptoms I would say that you are a good candidate for Breast Reduction Surgery. In my practice this is typically done as an out patient procedure and no drain tubes are required. I allow patients to shower the day after surgery. If you have a sedentary job you should be able to return to work by 10 to 14 days post op.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Insurance coverage

+1

Every insurance plan has their own unique criteria on whether they will cover a breast reduction.  More and more, we are seeing plans where a breast reduction is not a covered benefit.  If it is a covered benefit, some insurance plans set a minimum required amount of tissue to be remove in order to met their threshold for coverage.  Some set the amount in relation to your BMI (height and weight).  Others require extensive medical records documenting neck pain, back pain, and history of rashes.   The other alternative is to opt for a breast reduction as a self-pay option.   Start by visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction Candidates

+1

From your description you definitely would be a candidate for Breast Reduction. Good Candidates for Breast Reduction surgery are women who wish to have smaller breasts to achieve a more proportional appearance or to alleviate physical discomfort and ill-fitting bras and clothing  - that matches your description.  Breast reduction can correct symptoms from excessively large, heavy breasts that may cause the inability to do certain exercises, or create back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap shoulder indentations and chafing or rashes under the breasts.  Women experiencing these discomforts may benefit from Breast Reduction, also called Reduction Mammoplasty.  Furthermore, large breasts may interfere with normal daily activities or exercise and will be more comfortable when reduced.  Women who feel that their excessive breast size decreases a sense of attractiveness and self confidence, or results in unwanted attention are also candidates.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Excellent candidate for breast reduction

+1

Anele, you are pretty much the ideal candidate for breast reduction.  Your breasts are overly large, you are experiencing functional problems relative to your breast size, and your weight is reasonable (just slightly overweight with a BMI of 26).  This is probably the highest patient satisfaction procedure I do, and I believe you will be much more comfortable, you will look better, and you will a much easier time when you go clothes shopping.  I suggest you have a consultation with an experienced board-certified Plastic Surgeon and find out your options.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction for Teenager

+1

It sounds like you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

It sounds like you have done your homework and understand the potential risk and consultations associated with breast reduction surgery. You also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

I would suggest an in-person consultation with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Breast Reduction - Does It Make Sense for Me?

+1

Hi Anele in CT,

It's hard to say precisely in any one case but, in general, it sounds like you would get physical relief from the surgery (less back pain, less painful indents), overall improvement in your health (enhanced ability to exercise) and, no less, an improvement in your appearance in clothes.  So that's the good news.

The bad news is that it's still surgery.  You should meet with one or more plastic surgeons to go over exactly what's involved in the procedure and to make sure you're comfortable with what are generally termed the risks, benefits and alternatives.  There are no guarantees and although the vast majority of patients are extremely happy with the procedure, you really need to know, as much as possible, what to expect.  Do a little more research online, read some of the blogs or forums, and then go visit a few plastic surgeons.  I suspect that the answers to your questions will become pretty clear.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Excellent Candidate?

+1

While it certainly sounds like from your description, that you would be a good candidate, the only way to know for sure is to be examined by a trained surgeon. In our practice, the procedure is performed as an outpatient under intravenous sedation. The patients are seen the next day in our office, they are able to shower,  and most are able to return to work within a week. The two hour operation will usually resolve back pain that is caused by overly large breasts. Most of our patients report to us that their back pain caused by their breasts is gone within a few days of the surgery.

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Good Candidate for Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

Because you're already experiencing back pain and you have a difficult time finding clothes to fit and playing sports (or exercising), it sounds like you're an ideal candidate for breast reduction. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in person to be certain you're a good candidate.

Because breast reduction is used to relieve symptoms of back pain, neck pain, breast pain and other medical problems associated with having large breasts, it is considered a reconstructive surgery and is often covered by insurance.

In most cases insurance carriers will reimburse the majority of the cost of the procedure as long as a certain amount of breast tissue is removed. On average, insurance companies are looking for a removal of at least 500cc of breast tissue from each breast in order to be considered a covered procedure.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Breast reduction

+1

It would seem entirely appropriate for you have breast reduction surgery.  (Be aware, however, that if you gain weight later in life, your breasts will get larger as well.)   I would find a local board certified plastic surgeon near you for more detailed information.

Robert Sigal, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for breast reduction

+1

GIven your body mass index weight and height, as well as your bra size and symptoms, you may very likely be a candidate for breast reduction surgery.  Check with your board certified plastic surgeon (and make sure it is by the American Board of Plastic Surgery) about the details and risks and benefits of the operation, since it is not a minimally-invasive surgery.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon