19 Days After Breast Lift/ Breast Augmentation Notice a Foul Smell?

Two days ago i noticed a foul smell and a tiny bit of brownish/reddish discharge on my right incision at the bottom of my areola. Called my doctor and he said to take off steri strips and wash the area. I tried taking off the steri strips and at the bottom of the areola where the discharge is coming from looked like it was peeling off and there was some white gooey stuff. i taped it back and called my Doctors office they said to go in tomorrow so he can remove the steri strips. I'm worried.

19 Days After Breast Lift/ Breast Augmentation Notice a Foul Smell

Thanks for your question.  A wound will have an oder.  Cleanse and apply triple antibiotic ointment and cover 2x per day. Contact your Plastic surgeon to be seen today. Best wishes. 

5880 Ashmill Dr
Plano, TX 75024

Your surgeon should check your incision

A foul odour may be a sign of infection. Please have your surgeon examine your incision to better assess your concern. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

The drainage can involve superficial or deep area

Thank you for the question.  Drainage is an indication of delayed healing.  The source of this can be superficial or deep.  A superficial infection is nor as serious as a deep infection that involves the implant.  Hang in there and see your plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

8900 E Raintree Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Foul smell post surgery

A foul smell can be an early sign of infection, but it may not. It is best to see your doctor and be properly evaluated.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Smell nineteen days after surgery

You are almost 3 weeks after surgery. Most complicated wound problems would have occured within the first one or two weeks.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

1035 Park Ave
New York City, NY 10028

Foul smell after breast lift/breast augmentation

It's great that you are on top of things and following up closely with your plastic surgeon. Any foul smell after surgery needs to be looked at. Most of the time it's superficial and minor issues. Occasionally, it may signal a deeper infection. A thorough examination by your surgeon will most likely get to the bottom of this issue. I hope things worked out well and it's minor so that you can enjoy your new breasts.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

76 N Hudson Ave
Pasadena, CA 91101

Foul Smell after Breast Lift/Augmentation?

You are doing the correct thing in following up closely with your plastic surgeon. You should have some peace of mind, that the most common cause of the “foul smell” in your case would be fluid accumulation underneath the stairs strips. It is very likely that you will find that once these tapes have been removed, the incision line cleaned, and the area has been “aired out”, that the  foul smell will  dissipate.  Of course, there are other “more concerning” causes of foul smell;  this is why close follow-up with your plastic surgeon is appropriate.

Best wishes

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Odor and drainage

Seeing your surgeon is the correct thing to do. There are a number of possible explanations, none of which can be resolved over the internet. Your surgeon will examine you, come to a conclusion as to what is going on and prescribe any treatment that my be needed.

Thanks for your question and best wishes. 

1110 112th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004