19 Days After Breast Lift/ Breast Augmentation Notice a Foul Smell?

Two days ago i noticed a foul smell and a tiny bit of brownish/reddish discharge on my right incision at the bottom of my areola. Called my doctor and he said to take off steri strips and wash the area. I tried taking off the steri strips and at the bottom of the areola where the discharge is coming from looked like it was peeling off and there was some white gooey stuff. i taped it back and called my Doctors office they said to go in tomorrow so he can remove the steri strips. I'm worried.

The drainage can involve superficial or deep area

+1

Thank you for the question.  Drainage is an indication of delayed healing.  The source of this can be superficial or deep.  A superficial infection is nor as serious as a deep infection that involves the implant.  Hang in there and see your plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Dr Remus Repta

Foul smell post surgery

+1

A foul smell can be an early sign of infection, but it may not. It is best to see your doctor and be properly evaluated.

Smell nineteen days after surgery

+1

You are almost 3 weeks after surgery. Most complicated wound problems would have occured within the first one or two weeks.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Foul smell after breast lift/breast augmentation

+1

It's great that you are on top of things and following up closely with your plastic surgeon. Any foul smell after surgery needs to be looked at. Most of the time it's superficial and minor issues. Occasionally, it may signal a deeper infection. A thorough examination by your surgeon will most likely get to the bottom of this issue. I hope things worked out well and it's minor so that you can enjoy your new breasts.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Foul Smell after Breast Lift/Augmentation?

+1

You are doing the correct thing in following up closely with your plastic surgeon. You should have some peace of mind, that the most common cause of the “foul smell” in your case would be fluid accumulation underneath the stairs strips. It is very likely that you will find that once these tapes have been removed, the incision line cleaned, and the area has been “aired out”, that the  foul smell will  dissipate.  Of course, there are other “more concerning” causes of foul smell;  this is why close follow-up with your plastic surgeon is appropriate.

Best wishes

Odor and drainage

+1

Seeing your surgeon is the correct thing to do. There are a number of possible explanations, none of which can be resolved over the internet. Your surgeon will examine you, come to a conclusion as to what is going on and prescribe any treatment that my be needed.

Thanks for your question and best wishes.