Im 19 and Want a Breast Augmentation, Ill Have Kids in the Future but Not for a While Yet. I Wont Breast Feed. Should I Wait?

19 year old want breast augmentation

+1

You are old enough to have a breast augmentation if that is what you desire, as long as you understand all of the pros and cons.  It should not interfere with your ability to nurse if the incision is placed in the crease under the breast. Any pregnancy will have some effects on the appearance of your breasts, but many patients undergo breast augmentation and years later have their babies. Discuss this with a plastic surgeon and consider your options.

Breast augmentation at 19

+1

The choice to pursue having a breast augmentation is yours. At 19 you are old enough to consider the options and way the positives and negatives.  Patients choose to have breast augmentation at different ages and during different times in their life, some before getting married and having children, and some after having children.  If you are considering surgery you should go for a consultation with a board ceritified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Breast Augmentation at 19 years old?

+1

Whether or not to proceed with surgery is a personal choice.  I would ask that you consult with well experienced, board certified plastic surgeons so that all of the potential risks and complications are discussed with you prior to your decision.

As for having children, I usually suggest that patients wanting to have children in the near future wait and have the surgery afterwards.  Even if you do not breastfeed, your breasts may change with pregnancy and so you should be aware that you may need revisionary surgery if you are not happy with the changes.

Im 19 and Want a Breast Augmentation. Should I Wait?

+1

The two largest groups of women seeking breast enlargement include

• younger patients not satisfied with the breast volume they were born with
  • women wishing to restore lost volume after pregnancy

If you want improvement now, make an appointment to see a plastic surgeon and discuss the pros and cons. With pregnancy you may or may not get changes in the breast that you may wish to address whether or not you elect to have surgery now. 

At the present time, silicone gel implants are restricted in use to patients over 22 years of age. That may change, but it may not. At age 19 you would be limited to saline, and if that is an important factor to you, waiting until you reach 22 and reevaluating at that time is sensible.

Thanks for the question, best wishes. 

Personal choice

+1

The decision to proceed with breast augmentation is a very personal one.  There is no right or wrong answer.  If you are interested in fuller breasts, breast augmentation may be a good option for you. Please start by visiting with a board certiifed PS to learn more about your options.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Timing

+1

Your breasts may or may not change with a pregnancy. I advise my patients who are thinking of having children in a few years to wait. If not, there is no reason no to proceed from that standpoint.

Michael Hueneke, MD

A very individual question

+1

Certainly breast augmentation before age 18 is not considered routine due to physical and emotional matruity issues.  At 19, if you are mature and understand all the risks and consequences you can consider surgery after consulting with a plastic surgeon.  Regarding future pregnancies and breast feeding, both are possible and should not be an issue.  Discuss all the possiblities with your surgeon so you have a thorough understanding and can make a good decision before proceeding.   

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon