How Much Weight Should I Lose Before Getting a Tuck?

Im About 185 (After 2 Kids.) i am thinking about a tummy tuck also some lipo. i was wondering how much should i lose before going in. i just want to set a goal.

Tummy Tuck

+2

Ask your surgeon how much they need for you to lose, if any.  Losing weight does not mean it will be from your abdomen.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before tummy tuck

+2

Losing all of your weight is really not necessary with a tummy tuck because I remove all the skin with the fat in the lower abdomen and try and contour the upper fat with a tummy tuck. As a general rule, I would say if you get to about 10-15 pounds of the weight you would like to be at is a good guide for any plastic surgery. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss goal before tummy tuck

+2

The closer you are to your ideal BMI (body mass index) the better your result will probably be.  For some people with a large panniculus (that large amount of excess skin and fat that "hangs down" off the abdomen) this may difficult because of trouble with exercising, etc.; however it is worth the effort in terms of the safety of the surgery, the result, etc. The exact amount is not particularly important; but I would try and get within 20 pounds of your ideal BMI.  I would work closely with your surgeon on this; and you certainly don't want to be in "starvation mode" before the surgery; you should be stable with your weight for several months.  Remember you will be expending a lot of calories healing those surgical wounds, and during the post-op course.

Jerry Lugger, MD

The more weight you can lose on your own the better

+1

You mentioned that you weigh 185 pounds but you did not mention your height.  There would be a significant difference if you were 5'2" as opposed to 6'2".  However, assuming you are about 5' 6" to 5' 8", then I would recommend that you try to get down to 135-150 pounds before doing your tummy tuck.  That said, I have performed tummy tucks on women up to 200 pounds.  It all depends on your preference.  Some patients cannot lose the weight on their own, and we go ahead and do the tummy tuck anyway.  If you can lose weight on your own, that is better.

James Tang, MD

Your weight

+1

You should be at your best weight and be stable at that weight for at least 6 months and also have a healthy life style (meaning eating and exercising properly).  If you are within 10 to 15lbs of your ideal weight and are healthy with stable weight then you should be ok for a tuck.  Before choosing your plastic surgeon make sure you review the before/after photos to make sure you like what you see.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Weight Loss Before Tummy Tuck

+1

I feel that patients get their best results when their tummy tucks are performed at or near their ideal body weight.  You failed to mention your height.  There is a good deal of difference in 185 pounds at 5'2" versus 5'10".  If you are significantly overweight, you should pick an attainable weight goal before your surgery.

John Whitt, MD

Weight loss before a tummy tuck

+1

You should be at a stable weight for several months before having a tummy tuck.  The actual number you are is not as important as your overall health and your particular anatomy-meaning excess skin, stretch marks, etc.

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to outline a surgical plan as you are meeting your weight loss goals.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Weight loss prior to tummy tuck

+1

In your description  you mentioned your weight but not your height. Obviously if you are 5'2'' and weigh 185 it's different than if you are 5'8 and the same weight. But regardless, you should lose the excess weight as much as possibel. This will give you a better result and will result in a safer operation. If you have the surgeyr and then lose  alot of weight postoperatively you will once again have extra skin in the abdomen and trherefor, compromise the result.

George Lefkovits, MD

Optimize your body weight to get the *best* tummy tuck result!

+1
If you're overweight, then shedding pounds through diet and exercise is always a good idea. Not only does it benefit your health, but your tummy tuck results will be even better. Reducing the fatty tissue allows your surgeon to pull your abdominal skin tighter, flatter, and smoother. If you are overweight, have a tummy tuck, and then lose more weight, the skin of your abdomen will loosen and you will likely need a revision surgery. Overweight patients also have a higher risk of wound healing problems, especially if they're smokers. The bottom line is that, in the hands of a board certified plastic surgeon, tummy tuck surgery is ideal for mommy makeover patients who are at their ideal body weight. A little extra time put into losing those extra pounds may go a long way to a enjoy a lasting, beautiful result. Good luck!

Ariel N. Rad, MD, PhD

Weight loss for tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tucks work best if you are not a lot overweight.  Your BMI (body mass index) depends on both height and weight.. You can easily find a website that will allow you to determine your ideal weight. I would suggest that you try to be within 20 pounds of that.

Hugh McLean, MD
Mississauga Plastic Surgeon