Should I Have a Chin Implant Done or a Rhinoplasty? (Photo)

I am 21 years old and I live in the Philadelphia area. I have been struggling with my profile for awhile. My sister had a rhinoplasty done and her results are amazing so I have decided I am ready to become happier also. I am looking to change only one of my features and I'm hoping to keep the cost down because I'm still in college. I'm leaning towards the chin implant versus the rhinoplasty but I am very interested in suggestions. Also, I am wondering about the total costs for these procedures.

Chin implant versus rhinoplasty

+3

that's a very good question to ask yourself and to ask your surgeons. The rhinoplasty specialist here might say to the rhinoplasty and a chin implant. The chin implant and augmentation specialist might say just do the chin implant and save the rhinoplasty for later. It's a question of timing, cost, how much downtime can you afford at the moment and how much change are you willing to make to your face at this particular time. Changing the features your face can be an emotional experience for good or for bad but usually for good. If you are looking to do the simplest things first you could do the chin implant first which can be done under local anesthesia with significantly less downtime and cost compared to your rhinoplasty. The cost of your rhinoplasty I would expect would be anywhere from $8500 up to $13,000. A chin implant can be placed for anywhere from $2800-$5000. Don't let cost effect your decision but you may find that information useful. You'll require a hump reduction and osteotomies for your nose which would give you some bruising and practically speaking downtime of around 10 days or more.the chin implant you could probably recover from in a week or less.

short answer to all this is the greatest amount of  improvement would be from both procedures at the same time.  that being said the link below has some photographs of the young woman with a prominent nose that appears a lot less prominent with the improvement of her chin.

I hope that was helpful,  Chase Lay, MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Job, Chin Implant or Both?

+1

Hi cmembrino,

In a perfect world you are a wonderful condidate for both rhinoplasty and chin augmentation. This will improve facial harmony/ balance as well as improve your chin neck contour. If I had to choose one procedure it would be the rhinoplasty. Though rhinoplasty is more expensive than chin augmentation  I Ibelieve it would give a bigger cosmetic "bang for your buck".

Looking at your photos, especially the front view, I would recommend investigating both chin implant and genioplasty surgery. Consultation with a surgeon exerienced in facial and nose surgery will be able to guide you. Computer imaging may also be helpful in helping you decide.

Good luck,

Dr. Kaniff

Thomas E. Kaniff, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Why not both??? Based upon the posted photos I recommend both a full rhinoplasty with chin implant at same time 

Should I Have a Chin Implant Done or a Rhinoplasty?

+1

A rhinoplasty to reduce the dorsum and deproject the tip along with a chin implant to improve facial balance are reasonable surgical maneuvers in your case.  A chin implant will be less expensive, but having both done together will reduce total fees.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and chin implants each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Chin Implant or Rhinoplasty

+1

Obviously it would be best to do both procedures but you are dealing with economic reality. A chin implant will make a dramatic improvement and makes more financial sense for a struggling college student. Hopefully, with that degree, the cost of surgery will not interfere with your aesthetic goals.

Rhinoplasty and chin implant done together

+1

The combination of rhinoplasty and chin implant is very common in our practice.   A chin implant would give you the most amount of improvement if you were to only doing one procedure.  When a rhinoplasty and chin implant are done together, the goal is to reduce the overall projection of the nose, and increase the projection of the chin to give better facial balance. Virtual plastic surgery software is available on our website as  well as our price list. Please see the link below for examples of rhinoplasty and chin implant that have  been performed in our practice.

Chin augmentation or rhinoplasty

+1

To obtain the best aesthetic results, you need both rhinoplasty and chin augmentation simultaneously in order to enhance your beautiful face. However, since finances are issue, proceed with chin augmentation first, and have rhinoplasty in the future. Good luck.

Kevin Sadati, DO

+1

First off, you have a very pretty face. With regard to your areas of concern you would benefit from both a rhinoplasty and a chin implant. You could proceed with a chin implant, alone, to keep costs down for now. That would improve your profile and add some balance to your lower face. However, you would most likely still desire to proceed with a reduction rhinoplasty at some point down the road. Most patients will opt for simultaneous procedures to minimize downtime and cost but we need to be cognizant of your financial situation as well. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty or chin implant?

+1

Both the rhinoplasty and chin would be best together but as u said cost is an issue. I would do the chin first since u will get more "cluck for the buck". The nose can come later. 

Chin implant and rhinoplasty surgery is a powerful combination

+1

You have an attractive face that would be enhanced with both a rhinoplasty (dorsal hump and tip reduction) and a chin implant to balance your facial dimensions.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS