Is 18 Too Young to Get a Lip Reduction?

I am an 18 year old female and was born with large lips. I have been thinking about lip reduction for a long time and was wondering if I am old enough to do it. Sometimes my lips feel tired if I am talking a lot, and it slightly interferes with my speech. I spend a fortune on chap stick trying to get them moisturized and it makes me self-conscious when people stare at my lips rather than my eyes. Am I too young?

Lip Reduction - not for you

+7

Do not have a lip reduction. You have very full, symmetric lips that many pay thousands of dollars for. With age, your lips will thin. Just remember that you will always be able to find someone to operate on you, but when multiple experts chime in to dissuade you from that procedure, you should listen closely...Take care.

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

I do not think that 18 is too young but I do not think you need a lip reduction

+4

The youngest that I have done a lip reduction on was a 13 year old but she was psychologically mature, was teased at school, and truly had very large ethnic appearing lips.  When I look at your photo, I do not think you would benefit from a lip reduction.  Also, as  you get older your lips will thin out and I would not want to overthin your lips now and have a problem down the road.  If you are having a speech issue you should check in with a speech pathologist to make sure that it is not your lips but could be something else that you are missing.

best,

Dr. Sam Lam
Facial Plastic Surgeon, Dallas, Texas

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Reduction Surgery

+3

As mentioned earlier, I have lots of women who seek larger lips with restylane and other fillers.

Leave your lips alone for now and you will appreciate it later on.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Lip reduction at 18

+2

Just form the photo, your lips look pretty good to me.  In fact, many women as they age complain that there lips are too thin and usually want them plumped up. 

Is 18 Too Young for Lip Reduction Surgery?

+2

Hi Reee,

Keep your lips, don't have a surgical reduction at any age.  Be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Lip reduction.

+2

Your lips look beautiful--leave them alone. I have thousands of women who would die to have lips like yours. You'll be glad you never messed with them. Also, the reason people stare at your lips is they wish they had lips like that!

Lip reduction

+1
Lip reduction can be performed on someone your age.  Having full lips, however, is pleasing to most women.  As we age our lips do gradually thin.  You might want to discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon to see what would be best for you.  Your best action might be to leave your full lips alone for now. If you do choose a reduction, please be conservative.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Lip reduction surgery in Los Angeles

+1

Although your facial profile will change over the next few years, it is good that you are taking the first step by learning about the process. Lip reduction is a safe procedure that can be performed for cosmetic reasons to reduce volume and size of the upper and lower lips. An excellent procedure. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Age Is Only Part Of The Cosmetic Surgery Question

+1

Lip reduction can be performed at any age. The bigger question is why do you want your lips reduced in size? I would agree with some of the other physicians that your lips appear proportional for your face. I would encourage you to speak with a surgeon about the procedure and truly examine why you are wanting to have a procedure at your young age.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too young psychologically to consider lip reduction ?

+1

While lip reduction can be done at any age, the more important question is whether this would be a good decision for you. The size of one's lips are a matter of personal preference. Whether others think your lips are too big or not is irrelevant. What matters is what you think. At age 18, however, you may be make a snap decision that you could regret later. So think very carefully about it and, if unsure, let time decide for you. Some patients will normal sized lips have a chronic dryness problem with them which may be one of your lip issues other than just a size concern. In that case, a few millimeters of lip size reduction of the dry vermilion may provide some functional benefit to you.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD