18 Year Old Girl Considering Breast Implants?

5'6" & 120lbs. Broad shoulders,no hips, long legs/arms & slim. I am 2/3 asian, 1/3 black. First bra was AA in grade 8 w/under wire. 4 years later I wear a 34B but I don't fill it out, one boob might be an A & the other is like small B but there is a very noticeable difference. I want full Cs. I was considering moderate or moderate plus,smooth round,350cc saline implants (also correct asymmetry),sub-muscular placement w/ inframammary incision. Does this sound like a realistic goal? Scaring? Cost?

Need a thorough consultation process

+1

I would recommend that you have a complete consultation with 2 -3 plastic surgeons in your area.  A thorough physical examination and exploration of your lifestyle and objectives are necessary to address your questions. We offer a free, private consultation as do many other surgeons.

Augmentation for 18 year old

+1

The short answer is there are too many factors that can only be evaluated in a full history and physical examination to be able to say what is reasonable for you. However, saline implants are a good choice for improving symmetry as they are adjustable intraoperatively. Going from a B cup to a C cup also sounds reasonable although 350 cc implants sound a bit big to me; they might result in more like a D cup size. This is where it gets impossible to evaluate without seeing you. Which is why you should discuss these options with your surgeon. He or she should be able to answer your questions and explain their recommendations. You may want to have consultations with several surgeons and see which recommendations make most sense to you. It sounds like you are doing a great job of asking all the right questions. This will make it most likely for you to get the result you want.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation at age 18

+1

18 is usually the youngest I will agree to a cosmetic breast augmentation procedure as the breast is usually fully grown and the patient is old enough to sign their own consent form. 

Breast implant sizing is fairly straight forward to me but not to the patient. The implant needs to match the width of the breast (allowing for the skin and fat layer) and the forward projection determines the forward volume which in reasonable width breasts relative to the chest circumference means that a low profile implant will make the breast look about a cup size larger than it started, a medium profile will increase it by a cup and a half, a moderate plus (saline only) will make it look about 1 3/4 cup sizes larger, and a high profile will make it look two cup sizes larger. The problem in your case is that the difference between your breast volumes may be more than the fill volume addition (in saline implants) and the width of the implants must be the same. If you are a half cup different between the right and left sides then you need different profiles. If it's less than a half cup difference I would recommend a medium profile on the larger side and a moderate plus on the smaller side. This should get you to the mid to upper C range. 

I happen to be doing such a case next week. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Implant Choices

+1

This sounds like a good size for you.  Cost varies from surgeon to surgeon, so visit with several board certified plastic surgeons before making your decision.  Scars from breast augmentation usually heal very well.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Breast implant choices

+1

To choose the right implant for a patient requires a thorough exam and consultation.  It is very difficult to guess what would be good for you just based on the "numbers."

Breast implant selection

+1

Selection of a breast implant is complicated.  Many patients come in to the plastic surgeon's office having visited multiple websites and looked at many preop photos.  In the end, the plastic surgeon is the ideal person to guide you throught this labyrinth.  The selection of type of implant, size of implant, position submuscular or submammary, as well as incision location will vary based on the patient.  The physician will likely use a variety of measurements to determine the proper size implant for your frame.  He/she might also use sizers to help you visualize what an implant might look like "on you".  Incisions in a patient who is of a darker complexion raise issues regarding scarring and again require a detailed conversation.  Seek a board certified plastic surgeon to help you with these decisions.

Glen Brooks, MD
Springfield Plastic Surgeon

Considerations Prior to Primary Breast Augmentation

+1

The best answer to your question is to seek out a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can go over your appearance, size, and shape with you in person and can work with you to meet your goals in reaching a larger breast size.

Don't get overly caught up in sizes, shapes, and placement of implants, as it can be very confusing, and consider that a 350cc implant on someone with your small frame will look different on someone else with a different body size.

Consider a few things- first, have a good idea in mind of what size breast you would feel fits you. Find a way to describe it- pictures, bra cup sizes, etc...- so that you have a way to communicate it to your surgeon. That way your surgeon knows what your expectations are, and can tell you if your expectations are reasonable and/or attainable. Keep in mind that larger implants over time may cause your breast to droop more, cause back/neck/shoulder pain- all due to heavier weight of the implants.

Second, keep in mind that breast implants are not permanent- they need to be replaced roughly every 10 years due to the increased potential for rupture over time.

There are obviously many more issues to consider which you can discuss with your surgeon, but think about these to get you started. Best of luck to you.

Derek Lou, MD

How to pick breast implants.

+1

1)  This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2)  It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3)  Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4)  Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy.  The most common mistake is to go too big.

5)  I recommend that  the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6)  The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7)  Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8)  Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating room inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)