I'm a 18 Year Old Girl and I've Lost 100 Pounds and Now Have Loose Skin. My Strech Marks Also Bother Me. What Are my Options?

I'm a 18 year old girl and have lost 100 pounds. I have loose skin on my thighs, boobs and stomach. I also have a lot of stretch marks all over my body. My stretch marks are mostly white and silver. I started gaining weight when I was in elementary school and got my first stretch marks in about 5th grade. I was looking into a tummy tuck but I heard that would leave scarring and is recommended for older people. My loose skin and scars affect how I feel about myself. What are my other options?

Weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!!.. Most surgeons are not age dependent they are need dependent , so age would not be a major factor in your case.

Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin after weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!  It is not an easy task to lose that much weight.  Stretch marks are unfortunately difficult to treat.  The only good way of getting rid of them is cutting out the affected skin if possible.  While scars from a tummy tuck can be long, you are trading a hopefully thin and long scar to get rid of a lot of stretch marks.  Timing of surgery can be difficult when you are so young.  I would highly recommend getting a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn your options.

Naveen Setty, MD

Options for Loose Skin #tummytuck

+1

Thank you for your question and congratulations on losing so much weight. It is very hard to do that and keeping it off is even harder. So to focus on your question a picture would help, but I can make some general comments that I feel will help you. Many stretch marks can be removed but many can not be removed because of where they are located. I always try to get as much tissue out as safely as possible. With respects to the breasts often times the marks can not be removed unless you require a breast lift. You will indeed have scars after a tummy tuck, but they should be along your bikini line and will fade over the first year very much. There is no way around the scars, but the only way to get rid of the extra skin is to cut it off. Again, for you I need to see photos but seek out a board certified plastic surgeon and have a consultation. They will be able to educate you further.

Richard J. Brown, MD

18 with loose skin

+1

Hi Courtney. I completely understand your question. From your history of weight loss (well done,now keep it off) as well as the stretch marks, you are a candidate for tummy tuck or even lower body lift. Also possibly breast lift and thigh lift. here's the problem. You are only 18. Of coarse this is when you rely want to look good for yourself (esteem) and potential partner. You may want children as well. These are all important issues to deal with and discuss. I would suggest consulting with one or more Board certified Plastic sugeons who have experience with weight loss patients to assess your options, as well as pro's and cons of having major surgery at your age.

Good luck

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Need evaluation of the abdomen

+1

If you have loose skin and stretch marks of the abdomen then there may no other choice other than a surgical abdominoplasty.  If it is something that you are interested in then go for a consultation with a plastic surgeon.  It is the only way to educate yourself about the possibilities.  

Tummy tuck scars vs stretch mark removal.

+1

A tummy tuck is always a tradeoff of a scar for poor quality skin. In many cases, the quality of the skin removed can be so poor that the tummy tuck scar is irrelevant by comparison. You are right, only a small % of tummy tucks are done in your age group but I have done many on patients in their early 20's. Your best bet is to get a consultation with a reputable plastic surgeon who can show you many pictures of their patients then consider the reshaping and skin removal in relation to the scars you see. You'll make the right choice for you. Mastopexy (breast reshaping) is basically the same conversation about the breasts. There really are no other options or alternatives for a tummy tuck when there is widespread skin laxity and stretch marks. 

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

Stretch marks

+1

Good afternoon!

Congrats on  losing so much weight!  I am sure you are very proud and happy with your accomplishment as it is something to be celebrated.

Stretch marks can be an inevitable consequence of weight gain, and can sometimes seem worse after the fat leaves and the skin collapses.  The procedures to remove these marks involve long incisions such as an abdominoplasty.  You are a young girl with a lot of life ahead of you, including probably having children.  I know you want these marks and excess skin gone, but I strongly urge you to wait until after having children before addressing these issues.

I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD