18 Year Old Female, Eleven Days out of Closed Rhinoplasty Concerned with Bumps

I had my walls moved inwards, my septum 'shaved', my dorsal hump removed and some minor tip work. I noticed a small hard 'edge' near my eyebrow. My surgeon said it was a fracture line from where the bones were broken and said as my bones grow and settle, the edges will smooth. I have since noticed a small bump either side of my bridge and under my eye where there was a small gash from either stitches or the cast. Will these bumps smooth over and resolve in time or will i need another surgery?

Bumps 11 Days after Rhinoplasty

+1

The bumps you observed 11 days after your rhinoplasty are probably secondary to the osteotomies which are done to fracture the nasal bones and reposition them. This is normal and should resolve as the fracture sites heal over the next several months. Another surgery is unlikely, but a revision would be a minor procedure.

Post rhinoplasty bumps

+1

Small irregularities after rhinoplasty are common, both as part of normal healing or as part of the final result. They can be focal swellings, structural stepoffs from osteotomies, or even persistence of extra tissue.  But right now you are too early after surgery to be concerned.  Wait at least three to six months before considering such issues as significant, but make sure you do continue your dialogue with your surgeon throughout your recovery.  The explanation you received from your surgeon sounds very accurate and responsible for the high irregularities, and the lower sites/gashes sound like the access point used by your surgeon for osteomies.  Stay patient at this point. 

One final thought.  Post rhinoplasty contours are rarely completely smooth to the touch.  When you/we palpate the deep contours of bone and cartilage, we often feel stepoffs, bumps, edges.  That is truly not by itself important.  What is more important is that the overly skin and muscle camoflage these irregularities, such that you don't see any bumps.  If your nose looks smooth, that's the important thing.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too early for the result

+1
You need to wait at least 3 months to see the final result. You need to give it time to heal. The final result evaluation will need pre and post pictures.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Bump under each eye after rhinoplasty

+1

Just our guess but the small bump on the side of the nose under each eye can be caused by the cut in the bone when it  is made on the 'outside' of the nose. The small gash and bump will subside. We too occasionally cut the bone with a very small osteotome from a puncture on the outside, either side of bridge, which can reduce the swelling and bruising.

peterejohnsonmd

Post rhinoplasty bumps

+1

As your nose heals, you will find small irregularities. In the long run, what you feel does not count much. It is much more important to evaluate what your nose looks like.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Rhinoplasty - nose job

+1

It is still a little too early to be overly concerned about the appearance of your nose.  I don't mean to minimize your concerns, but there is still likely significant swelling and perhaps even assymetric swelling that will need to settle.  However, given that this was a closed rhinoplasty approach, the swelling should not be as significant with an open approach.  Give it a couple more months before things will begin to "declare" themselves.  Hang in there.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

A posted photo ALWAYS helps us determine if you have an issue, but only 11 days from surgery is VERY early to be so concerned. Wait til the 3 month time before determining if there is a problem.