Should 18 Year Old Wait for Breast Reduction with F-sized Breasts?

I'm 18 and 5' and weigh 106lbs but I have 32f breasts. Should I wait til I am older for reduction? I do experience back pain and I cannot do exercises or workout. It seems like it's starting to get harder. I like my breast shape but I would like to go down to at least a D. I'd like as little scarring as possible and I'm hoping to breastfeed, however, I am not planning kids until I'm in my 30s.

18 year old breast reduction

+2
Your breasts are certainly large enough to cause significant back, shoulder and neck pain. I think breast reduction surgery is entirely appropriate and would alleviate your complaints. For someone of your age and weight, I would recommend reducing the breasts to a C cup to prevent return of symptoms should you gain even a modest amount of weight. Scarring should be considered but the only way to achieve a smaller but aesthetically pleasing breast is by formal reduction. I see suntan lines. The best thing you can do in terms of healing is to guard against sun exposure as this will affect healing and scar formation

Breast reduction at 18

+2

See a board certified plastic surgeon for your initial consultation but you seem to have good indications for breast reduction surgery. Waiting will not improve your symptoms nor final outcome. While surgical scars are inevitable, they usually heal as fine lines. These are some of the happiest patients we see for surgery with a relief in many of their symptoms. Most patients only regret not undergoing the surgery earlier.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Breast reduction for teen

+2

If your breasts have finished growing and have been stable for at least 6 months or a year, you should definitely consider a reduction. With significant symptoms, it is worth doing a reduction earlier. In this case, you may have further breast growth and need a re-reduction later, though the chance of doing so is not large.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction at 18yo

+2

If you are done growing and have been stable at your height/weight/breast size over the past year, then medically you are a candidate.  The hardest part of doing this, though, is that you will have scars on your breasts somewhere, and their is no way to avoid this. This can be hard for young women who are still very active in the dating world.   Your ability to breastfeed will be decreased, but you may still be able to afterwards.  If you are unable to exercise and you are developing back issues, then it is worth seriously considering.  Every young woman I have performed this on has been very happy that they made the jump.  You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon and see what they have to say about your situation.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

You Would Benefit From Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

Your symptoms and pictures strongly suggest that you would benefit from breast reduction surgery. This procedure has the potential to improve quality of life and has long term health benefits as well.

Most patients with breast enlargement complain of difficulty with back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, rashes and pain within the breasts themselves. They often have decreased exercise tolerance and as a result gain weight elsewhere. They have difficulty finding clothes that fit properly and they feel that people stare at them. This adversely impacts their self esteem.

Correction of breast hypertrophy is a life changing experience. Symptoms improve, clothing fits properly, exercise tolerance improves, patients lose weight elsewhere and self esteem improves following this procedure.

The majority of patients feel that breast reduction surgery has improved the quality of their lives. Older patients, who undergo this procedure, often comment that they wish that they had undergone the procedure when they were younger.

Unfortunately, this procedure has downsides as well. In some cases decreased sensation of the nipple areola, inability to breast feed and adverse scarring may occur. Problems of this type are especially relevant to younger patients, who may elect to wait until they are older.

If you’re considering breast reduction surgery it’s important that you consult a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with this procedure. This surgeon should be able to make appropriate recommendations regarding your specific situation. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction for Teenager?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

It sounds like you are dealing with breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.
It sounds like you have done your homework and understand the potential risk and complications associated with breast reduction surgery, including  abnormal scarring. You also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

Timing of the breast reduction surgery is  based on  the patient's psychosocial place in life and is a very individual- specific decision.  She must be able to accept the scars (which result from the breast reduction surgery)  in exchange for the improvement in size/contour/position of  the breasts.  Some patients choose to have the breast reduction surgery earlier in life; some patients prefer to wait until they are in mature/stable relationships and/or have completed  having pregnancies.

18 and a breast reduction

+1

If you have reached adult size and are no longer growing, you certainly can undergo a breast reduction to reduce the overall volume of the breast.

Breast reduction in 18 year old: Resection versus Lipo

+1

SEE VIDEOS BELOW IN LINK TO MY WEBSITE FOR SAMPLES OF LIPOSUCTION VERSUS RESECTION METHODS OF REDUCTION. You are on the younger side for a reduction mammoplasty and should first discuss the procedure with a qualified plastic surgeon  to determine if you have reached your adult size. As to your candidacy for resection versus liposuction, you should meet with a plastic surgeon to discuss your options after a history and physical examination.

Breast reduction at what age

+1

You definitely have large breasts and if you have back,neck pain, then you are an excellent candidate for a reduction. I do mine as an outpatient and the recovery before full activity is about two weeks. We pre-authorize our patients.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Don't wait to have breast reduction

+1

With your symptoms and breast size it seems likely to only get worse. A reduction at age 18 is not uncommon. With current breast reduction techniques, most women are able to breast feed but threre can be no guarantee. The minimal scar techniques are probably not applicable for a case like yours, but they should fade very nicely over time and the trade-off will be worth it.

Richard Baxter, MD