18 Pound Weight Gain After Implants and Lift?

I'm 1 week post op from breast augmentation (309 cc's in each side) + lift. Morning of surgery I weighed 118 and 1 wk later I weigh140. I realize there is surgical swelling and fluids given during surgery will cause some weight gain as I've had other plastic surgery yrs ago but 18 pounds? I never exercised much before surgery so I'm not any less active and eat the same. If anything I have been eating a bit less because of nausea. Is this normal? And how long before it's gone?

18 pound weight gain after one week post-op?

+1

While it is common to gain a few pounds initially after surgery because of fluid retention and lack of activity, 18 pounds sounds too high.  I would see your surgeon to be properly evaluated.

Rapid Weight Gain 1 Week Post-op Needs To Be Addressed

+1

I too am somewhat suspicious of an 22 pound weight gain in one week following your surgery.  However, if this is accurate, you certainly need to make both your surgeon and family doctor aware.  It could possibly represent a serious problem.

Sudden weight gain 1 week after surgery can be due to fluids

+1

1 week after surgery, you are retaining water.  You may also be less active (perhaps you were very active in the gym before the surgery) and your diet may have changed.  So the normal fluid retention after surgery, with slowed metabolism and more food retained in your digestive system my be responsible for sudden weight gain after surgery.  Also, perhaps you should try a different scale because this amount of weight gain is certainly rather excessive.

The good news is that once you are fully healed and are able to return to your regular routines, you should get back to your pre-surgery weight.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC

+1

My first suspicion would be the reliability of the measurements, because that much weight gain in so slender a patient seems quite out of the ordinary. 

Some may gain that much weight from swelling where there is a large surgical field, such as tummy tuck and/or multiple area liposuciton.

You should notice some change in body contour above and beyond the breast size with that much weight gain. If not, more suspicion to the measurement. 

Swelling that does occur should be diminishing or at least starting to do so by a week. Narcotic pain pills interfere with intestinal motility and that can contribute a little to the weight gain, and is reversed after those medicines are stopped. 

At any rate, I've not seen anyone yet who has not lost the weight they gained from surgical swelling.

Thanks for the question, and best wishes.