18 Mo Ago I Hit my Nose on Edge of Hard Bone and a Bump Formed, How Do I Get Rid of It?

I hit the bridge of my nose, at the edge of where the hard skull bone ends. At the time there was a laceration, but no real swelling, the cut healed but over a period of mos I noticed a small bump growing there, right where the bone and cartilage merge. It's been over 18 mos n the bump is still there. It's about the size of a pea cut in half. It drives me nuts. I don't kno if I should massage it 2 try 2 reduce it, or if that will make it worse, after this much time is there hope it will resolve?

Nasal trauma causing a broken nose and a bump

+1
Trauma to the nose can fracture the nasal bones, fracture upper lateral cartilage off of the nasal bones and create a dorsal hump in the nose. As long as the nasal bones are straight, osteotomies may not be required. A simple rasping can be performed to get rid of the small bump that is present. 

The bump on the nose likely stay there without surgery

+1

It is very likely that you fractured your nose where the nasal bones join the upper lateral cartilages. Therefore either a cartilage or bone fragment is the likely culprit for the protrusion that you're feeling. Although it's true that some irregularities after trauma or surgery go away, in your case it's unlikely that waiting will make it go away since 18 months have already passed. Massage should not make things worse, but it's unlikely to change the outcome.

The good news is that this can be remedied through surgery. If it's only this particular area you are worried about (no tip work, breathing problems, etc...), then the cost should be relatively low depending on the surgeon and your locale. Hope that helps and good luck.

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Residual bump on nose after injury

+1

The nasal bone joins the cartilage of the nose at the point you are describing; this area is called the rhinion where the nasal bone is quite thin, and the cartilage inserts underneath of it. If the nose was hit hard enough, the bone could  have been fractured forming a bony spicule which then raised up. Additionally, the cartilage underneath it sometimes then springs up and becomes prominent. At this late date, what you see is probably not going to go away and you will require  that not only the nasal done be rasped down, but also that the cartilage be shaved down. This is usually a simple procedure that can be performed under local or sedation anesthesia.

Russell W. H. Kridel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

A crack in the nasal bone can lead to a bump that can be fixed.

+1

All fractures of bones heal by "callous" formation that generally reshapes back to the original bone shape over a matter of months.  At 18 months, it is probably your bump is permanent.  It is easily sanded down and should not return.